Best "all around" roo breed?

I would have to say Def. Orpington. My roo omlet has been the best boy I have ever had...
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm going to second this. My silkie roo is so great to my girls! He gives warnings, but he doesn't fight what he's warning against (like my cat...) good thing he doesn't too..
tongue.png
My silkie would be medium sized. He's hard to catch, but very docile when you do hold him.

I guess it all depends on what you like. You either love silkies or hate them.

ETA: Pic of my roo, because I love showing him off. His name is Steve.

IMG_0678.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I second the Australorp suggestion. I think they have a great temperament and they seem to be more moderate in their, ahem, romantic vigor without compromising fertility. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I haven't known mine to spend all day chasing tail and wearing down the hens. As an added bonus, they make good eating.

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of people have misconceptions about gamecocks. Associations like PETA or the ASPCA have trained them to believe that gamecocks are like pit bulls: if they are fighters towards their own species, they will be fighters to humans. Not so. Gamecocks are some of the mildest-tempered birds you could ever own. Aforesaid misconceptions are one of the reasons why gamefowl are so rare.
As to a reliable breeder here on BYC, there are a number of them. Josh44 lives in San Antonio, Texas, and is looking to get rid of some of his Asils (a breed of gamefowl). Saladin (Dr. Everett) lives in South Carolina and occasionally sells Asils and a few other breeds of gamefowl. CUDA lives in Michigan and sells Thai games, and Prairiechicken lives in the Midwest and sells a few game breeds as well.
You might want to stop by the Oriental Gamefowl Thread or the Show Off Your Games Thread. These threads are where most of the breeders hang out.

Quote:
From what I can tell, he looks very pretty.

In regards to the Silkies, I really like them too. I have three, two Buffs and a Partridge. I had a BEAUTIFUL Partridge female, Autumn. She was like a smokey black. Lost her to a halk just a few weeks ago. She was my absolute favorite
hit.gif
. Anyway, whats funny, is when I ordered my Silkies, I actually ordered a boy, so I could get some mixes, back when I was thinking about getting an incubator, but ended up getting all girls. I might be leaning towards Silkie mix, which either means I get an adult mix or get a Silkie male and breed that to one of my girls.
******Just want to say thanks to everyone. I really do appreciate all the input. It is helping me alot.
smile.png

Last edited:
My favorite boys have been Salmon Fav "Weird Al" (RIP) and Cochin "Julia" (I know, I thought he was a girl). Both these boys are absolutely kind to people and sweet with their ladies and we've found some "missing" babies staying warm under these great dads at one time or another. They are always courteous to girls that aren't even a part of "their" harem. Unfortunately my wyandotte and maran boys this year are mean to girls outside their harems. I do have a couple of silkie boys coming up that are still sweet as pie and they are overall my favorite breed so we'll see if anyone makes the ranks with Julia and Al.

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of people have misconceptions about gamecocks. Associations like PETA or the ASPCA have trained them to believe that gamecocks are like pit bulls: if they are fighters towards their own species, they will be fighters to humans. Not so. Gamecocks are some of the mildest-tempered birds you could ever own. Aforesaid misconceptions are one of the reasons why gamefowl are so rare.
As to a reliable breeder here on BYC, there are a number of them. Josh44 lives in San Antonio, Texas, and is looking to get rid of some of his Asils (a breed of gamefowl). Saladin (Dr. Everett) lives in South Carolina and occasionally sells Asils and a few other breeds of gamefowl. CUDA lives in Michigan and sells Thai games, and Prairiechicken lives in the Midwest and sells a few game breeds as well.
You might want to stop by the Oriental Gamefowl Thread or the Show Off Your Games Thread. These threads are where most of the breeders hang out.

Thanks so much for the info. I can understand the stereotype, as I am a huge Pit bull lover, and have, and have had them, and mixes, as pets. Sweetest dogs. I've faced lots of negative stuff do to them. Anyway, the only thing I worry about, is if I were to end up with another roo, down the road, would there be problems with the gamecock? I have enough hens for 2 roos, but I don't have the set up to separate them. There is one run, two coops, and they freerange during the day.

Back
Top Bottom