Best approach for possible gizzard impaction

Today I said goodbye to Lorraine. She had a peaceful and painless death.

Her temperature went down overnight (I’d given her some meloxicam). However the fact she lost 1/3 of her body weight over the course of the month, had complete crop stasis and all testing came back normal pointed to something severely wrong inside her that would not have been curable nor would treatment have resulted in a good quality of life. I was not inclined to pursue diagnostic scans to this end. The vets supported my decision for euthanasia.

I still think it may have had something to do with her gizzard. One of the vets suggested a cancer tumour causing the obstruction. They will perform a necropsy and let me know the results in several days. I will update here with what I learn.

Rest in peace Lorraine, my sweet Lady in Pajamas. You will be greatly missed.
:hugs I'm sorry to hear about Lorraine.

The vet hasn’t provided a formal report yet because the necropsy was a bit of a mystery. Lorraine had no cancer, no digestive obstruction, no reproductive disease, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary EXCEPT one of her kidneys was twice the normal size, discoloured and covered in white lesions. The vet theorised it could have been an infection but usually in such cases both kidneys would be affected. She had no idea why Lorraine’s digestion was at a complete standstill. The organ is being sent for further testing to get more answers. Lorraine’s body went to group cremation. I have made a little memorial for her at home. Two of my other hens Evie and Constance have gotten closer since Lorraine passed away. I think they miss her.

Attachments

• A84717A5-D752-4B77-8F85-C17DB5340494.jpeg
    A84717A5-D752-4B77-8F85-C17DB5340494.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 4
  • E7ACF6BA-6C38-47F6-9B5E-66917BF2155F.jpeg
    E7ACF6BA-6C38-47F6-9B5E-66917BF2155F.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 4
Lymphoid leucosis commonly presents with white lesions on organs at necropsy. It's why I am bringing it up. It's also typical for those organs with the lesions to be enlarged.

Okay I’ll get back in touch with them and ask about it.

If it was lymphoid leukosis, do you know if there were any treatment I could have done for Lorraine? Would the rest of my flock be affected now?

I’ll do my own research too of course but if you know about these things I would be grateful for your answer.

No. There is no treatment for LL. And yes, if it's found in Lorraine's organs, your flock will then be assumed to carry this virus. No, it is not the end of the world. My flock has been living with LL for sixteen years. Most baby chicks I've introduced into my flock have been able to develop resistance to the virus and live normal, otherwise healthy life spans.

Things you cannot do are to hatch from within your flock as they will die in the egg or within a few months of hatch, introduce older chickens into the flock as they will have no resistance and have a good chance of developing tumors, and you may not rehome or sell hatching eggs or chickens from your flock.

While being similar to Marek's in many ways, LL is much easier to live with and has far lower mortality if you adjust to managing your flock with the few limitations I mentioned.

No. There is no treatment for LL. And yes, if it's found in Lorraine's organs, your flock will then be assumed to carry this virus. No, it is not the end of the world. My flock has been living with LL for sixteen years. Most baby chicks I've introduced into my flock have been able to develop resistance to the virus and live normal, otherwise healthy life spans.

Things you cannot do are to hatch from within your flock as they will die in the egg or within a few months of hatch, introduce older chickens into the flock as they will have no resistance and have a good chance of developing tumors, and you may not rehome or sell hatching eggs or chickens from your flock.

While being similar to Marek's in many ways, LL is much easier to live with and has far lower mortality if you adjust to managing your flock with the few limitations I mentioned.

Thanks for your reply. If it is LL, I wonder if one of my existing chickens had it first and gave it to Lorraine when she was re-homed to me and she succumbed because she was older — 4+ years.

I don’t have a rooster so none of my hens hatch their own eggs. However I do have hens that go broody and I give them fertilised eggs to hatch and then rehome the chicks when they are old enough. So to be clear, these chicks would be carrying the virus and I should not be rehoming them?

Back
Top Bottom