Best backyard chicken that are friendly, easy to tame, etc.?

godsweet2010

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Hello chicken lovers!

I am glad to find this forum. I have 8/9 weeks old chicks that are Buff O, Barred Rocks, and Egg Eggers. Unfortunately, we have to get rid of our EE because they are roosters
1f613.png
since we live in city limit. We are looking for buy 2 other kind. We are leading to get Australorp. We want to have friendly pullets, good layers, and good with kids

Last edited:
Its a biased opinion I'm sure, but my bantam cochins and Japanese are just super sugary sweet and friendly. They may not lay the biggest eggs once they grow up though their personalities are just darling.

Its a biased opinion I'm sure, but my bantam cochins and Japanese are just super sugary sweet and friendly. They may not lay the biggest eggs once they grow up though their personalities are just darling.

I keep that in mind when we move into country.
1f60a.png
Right now, since we live in city limit, we want the eggs and friendly because we have kids to come our house sometimes.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I would get more EE, personally.

Orps, Rocks... all good.

My Wyandottes were NOT loud. But one of Lav Orps and an EE are the loudest girls ever... and it's great! But I have other EE and Orps that are quiet. And my bantam Silkie is right up there witht the loudest of them! I would say that more than anything... that is an individual characteristic more than typical, and I have 50 ish birds. No two are the same when it comes to noise level or friendliness.

Although I like Australorps and tried hard to finally get one... to me they will still be Orps which you already have and it is very nice to get a colorful basket. It can help you to determine if someone is having laying, nutritional, or health issues if you can tell the eggs apart easier.
old.gif
Plus I feel like a big kid when I get to be surprised by what colors I get.
big_smile.png
If you get EE that aren't flighty, they are super easy to handle or docile as people call it. I will NEVER have a flock without at least some EE.

Raising so many birds and getting rare breeds made me thinkl some of my others were... meh. But as they grow older, I still really like my barred rock and Orps and decided to let them stay even if everybody has them and they might be considered average. Thier personalities are far beyond average and they get so much better/calmer/friendlier after they have laid for a little while! (hens in general)

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I would get more EE, personally.

Orps, Rocks... all good.

My Wyandottes were NOT loud. But one of Lav Orps and an EE are the loudest girls ever... and it's great! But I have other EE and Orps that are quiet. And my bantam Silkie is right up there witht the loudest of them! I would say that more than anything... that is an individual characteristic more than typical, and I have 50 ish birds. No two are the same when it comes to noise level or friendliness.

Although I like Australorps and tried hard to finally get one... to me they will still be Orps which you already have and it is very nice to get a colorful basket. It can help you to determine if someone is having laying, nutritional, or health issues if you can tell the eggs apart easier. :old  Plus I feel like a big kid when I get to be surprised by what colors I get. :D  If you get EE that aren't flighty, they are super easy to handle or docile as people call it. I will NEVER have a flock without at least some EE.

Raising so many birds and getting rare breeds made me thinkl some of my others were... meh. But as they grow older, I still really like my barred rock and Orps and decided to let them stay even if everybody has them and they might be considered average. Thier personalities are far beyond average and they get so much better/calmer/friendlier after they have laid for a little while! (hens in general)

We have received 2 free Wyn. chicks yesterday after finding out that both of our EEs were roosters. They told us that those were pullets. Should I keep them or send it back to buy from different store. I am just scared if I end up having roosters again.

Sure, keep them. Wyandottes are good birds and very pretty.
love.gif

No matter what gets suggested here on BYC, you have to do what makes sense for you.
old.gif

Are they the same age as your other birds? Easy to verify gender on laced breeds, once the lacing starts to show. Post pics if you want.
wink.png

Sure, keep them. Wyandottes are good birds and very pretty. :love

No matter what gets suggested here on BYC, you have to do what makes sense for you. :old

Are they the same age as your other birds? Easy to verify gender on laced breeds, once the lacing starts to show. Post pics if you want. ;)

My other chicks are 8/9 weeks old.

The Wya chicks are about no more than 2 weeks. I will take a picture tonight when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom