Best Bait for Raccoons?

I’m not sure if it’s different where you live, but I live in Florida and it is illegal to relocate wildlife unless you have a permit. Also it could be a mother and you leave her young alone and defenseless. And any raccoon out during the day is suspect to disease and you need to stay away from! Put coverings over the porch and make sure your coop is secure.

I have used eggs, tuna, and canned cat food. If I have one kill a bird then I use the dead bird to trap it and that has always worked best for me. Its almost like they get mad when you take their kill and have to get it back lol.

I’m not sure if it’s different where you live, but I live in Florida and it is illegal to relocate wildlife unless you have a permit. Also it could be a mother and you leave her young alone and defenseless. And any raccoon out during the day is suspect to disease and you need to stay away from! Put coverings over the porch and make sure your coop is secure.
Here in Iowa we have livestock protection laws which allow for out of season trapping or killing, but the DNR has to be notified of any capture or kill.

Racoons are determined critters and if you have one trolling your coop, they will keep at it until they find a way in. Trapping coons is part of the security plan for my coop.

Something I just thought of is most states have trappers that will come out and catch problem animals. Here in Arkansas you can get a free permit to do it. In Texas the state actually pays people to do it. Not sure about anywhere else. Might look into nuisance animal laws in your state. If the crazy cat lady is causing a feral cat issue they will also take care of that. A lot of places are busting down on them because people feeding them is causing large populations of disease ridden cats passing all kinds of stuff to peoples pets. Also leaving the food out brings wildlife into residential areas causing more issues.

Howard said it all. Your coon is in its home territory, is comfortable there and has a good food supply in that area. You would have to take it a long way away for it not to return to its home territory. Even if you succeed there are more that will take its place @ your chickens door. Therefore securing your coop is the only way to be sure that your chickens do not become a predators meal!

Something I just thought of is most states have trappers that will come out and catch problem animals. Here in Arkansas you can get a free permit to do it. In Texas the state actually pays people to do it. Not sure about anywhere else. Might look into nuisance animal laws in your state. If the crazy cat lady is causing a feral cat issue they will also take care of that. A lot of places are busting down on them because people feeding them is causing large populations of disease ridden cats passing all kinds of stuff to peoples pets. Also leaving the food out brings wildlife into residential areas causing more issues.
Yeah in Illinois supposed to get a trapper... Neighbor got one to get the coons under his desk... $150 per animal. They got 3. But I seen 7 more after I shot 2.
City People keep dumping in the forest preserve next door or in my side drive by the preserve. That or the opossums I tracked through the snow to my side drive took an Uber. Coons that have been trapped learn to stay out of traps, if released

This is exactly why it is illegal in Florida. It usually just creates a problem for someone else. If you secure your coop it can’t get a meal.

Back
Top Bottom