Best bedding for Adult ducks?

True about rocks, but wouldn't want to do crop surgery because they ate too much saw dust.. well I am on my way to TRS so I will be checking this product out for sure thanks for the info... and dianaross77 everytime I see your name makes me think of diana ross and the supremes from the 60's what great music.

I have people ask me all the time "Is that your real name?"
hmm.png

Just picked up stall mats... Okay, so they may work as bedding, but they are so darn heavy!
Maybe just straw or something (we also bought some of that, but they are scared of it
big_smile.png
)

I looked at the Horse pellets but wasn't sure exactly how much water to use to get them to fluff out so just decided to stick with pine shavings, The person at Trs wasn't very knowledgeable about the pellets, they also have corn cobs anyone ever use them?
and straw doesn't absorb the poop at all.

Last edited:
I use straw for my ducks. It's not very absorbant but if you use enough of it, it acts as a matt. I don't use pine shavings with ducks, especially for ducklings. The splinters in the wood can go into the ducks feet and even the tiniest sliver can pierce their skin. If this happens, since ducks are messy mudders, it is easy for the cut by the splinter to become infected. This will cause bumblefoot.

dianaross77, I was reading on the back of the bag it said to wet the pellets to make them fluff out.
idunno.gif
it was all new to me, I asked the person at TRS about the stuff and she couldn't even open the bag a smidge so I could actually see what it looked like.. the pine shaving I use I don't believe would make a splinter, I've used it for years and never had a problem, but thats why we're all unique we all like and use different things , and what ever works for us may not for someone else.
big_smile.png

PELLETS!!! they are the best... It doesn't matter if they eat any saw dust... I've used just about everything mentioned here, and I like pellets best

Quote:
YOu don't have to wet them, but if you want to, you a sprat bottle and mist them a little... Ducks poop enough to expand them all anyways, no water needed.

Back
Top Bottom