Best bedding for coop floor

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
We have a coop with just straw on the ground at the moment, but we are wondering if what would be a better alternative to that. Fly's are always a worry to me, and as we are drawing near the warmer days, they are returning. They seem drawn towards the straw, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Back in December we finally took away the original floor layer we had in the coop, little bits of sawdust that had been in the coop for over a year. This was because we bumped our chicken count from 5 to 10, and needed something easier to clean. We were wondering if wood chips would be better on the coop ground or anything else that seems well. Adjust have plywood on the ground of the coop, and the coop is on stilts.

I use shavings inside my coop. I like that it's baled in plastic and I can keep it dry. I've always bought straw in standard bales and they always end up getting wet since I don't have a covered straw storage area. We use baled bagged straw for our rabbit and it's just messier it seems. I'd probably play around with different things and see what you like the most

I use wood chips + hemp under the roost. Used all wood chips for a few years but it's not that easy to spot clean, so I switch to hemp so I can easily sift under the roost area.

coopfloor.JPG

Last edited:
I like coarse-flake shavings in the coop. I find that they last longer than straw in my Deep Bedding system. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

If the coop is absolutely dry, has excellent ventilation, and enough bedding that the poop dries quickly the fly larva can't grow. :)

I'd probably play around with different things and see what you like the most

This is excellent advice. No two people have exactly the same situation or exactly the same preferences. There's nothing to lose but the cost of one bag/bale of material and a few week's time if something doesn't work out for you. :)

Have a dirt floor, add layer of one 40LB bag of Canadian Peat Moss.. and let the chickens level it. Next day a 40LB or two of medium too large pine chips.. I use no sawdust and/or small chips.. Seems to pack, making more issue. Repeat as need be.. in layers. The Peat knocks down the Ammonia.. It's chemistry.. But stock up on Peat before the end of garden season, or you may find none.. Straw is great in the run when it's extra rainy or winter thaw to keep their footsies dry.. They just chew it up till I till it in.. Try not to wait till summer sun bakes it into a brick before you till it in.. Tilling solves the issue of standing water, as it soaks in instead.. and chickens get treats such as worms.. and enjoy scratching in the soft soil, They freak-out at first till they see the fresh dirt.. Then will get underfoot as you are tilling.. plus excellent dust bath when it dries.. Then no more straw for summer to fall.

We have a coop with just straw on the ground at the moment, but we are wondering if what would be a better alternative to that. Fly's are always a worry to me, and as we are drawing near the warmer days, they are returning. They seem drawn towards the straw, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Back in December we finally took away the original floor layer we had in the coop, little bits of sawdust that had been in the coop for over a year. This was because we bumped our chicken count from 5 to 10, and needed something easier to clean. We were wondering if wood chips would be better on the coop ground or anything else that seems well. Adjust have plywood on the ground of the coop, and the coop is on stilts.
Would be good to see some pics of your coop and run.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

pine shavings on the floor, sand and PDZ in the poop board. I add a wheelbarrow load of organic matter every week to ten days to the pine shavings (grass clippings, hay, dry leaves, etc) the chickens turn this over with their droppings and in 6 months it is literally a powder. I clean out the coop 2x a year and there is very little smell.

The coop has a wood floor with hardware cloth on top of the wood, and then linoleum flooring on top of that. I used fine pine shavings and the deep litter method. The fine shavings compost twice as fast as the regular pine shavings, but either one will work. Coop gets cleaned out 2x a year, nice compost for the garden. I also use DE when I clean it out. I never have any issues with smells or ammonia, although I will clean out the larger overnight excrement just to help keep the coop clean.

Has anyone here ever use cypress mulch for a chicken run? I was wondering about it because I wanted to try something different in the run, vs shaving are in the coup area. I can't seem to get pine mulch, especially without dye, here in AZ. It is very dry weather here so i wouldn't have an issue with muddy mulch, lol. I know they usually use it for lizards and snake tanks. Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom