Best bedding for ducklings?

Thanks guys! So I put off deciding on my bedding and bam my ducklings arrived at the post office this morning...and sure enough I didnt have bedding! so I just grabbed a bag of pine shavings at the local feed store.....it seems to be pretty fine bedding---I noticed my ducklings dabbling at it...not sure if they're eating it? One did get some stuck in his nostrils that I managed to help him out and dislodge it...was this a bad idea????? or should I just keep an eye on them that they're not getting it stuck in their nostrils and they'll be OK? One of my runners seemed to have foam under his bill that I wiped away, chokeing? he seems OK when I left...ugh now im a nervous duck mother!!!

I have a great set up, I have a cake pan, with a well fitted cooler rack on top of that on one half where I put the feed/water so they dont mess up the bedding...works like a charm! shoved some timothy hay in the corners so they dont get stuck between the panand sides of the brooder...will post photos later to see if anyone has any added recommendations :)

During the first week of having hatchlings I used a plastic bin with puppy pads. After that they went into a plastic kiddie pool lined with plastic sheeting, then puppy pads, then hay. When it was time to clean it up all I had to do was roll up the puppy pads with the hay and poop inside. (used this as mulch/fertilizer). Then, they went into a dog crate with puppy pads and hay. It wasn't until they were large enough to prevent them from fitting thru chain link that they went outside. What a glorious day that was.

Last edited:
I used pine shavings for the first week or so, but it was making it stink a lot quicker the older they got. There is a swap and sell group on Facebook for my area so I asked if anyone had old towels. A lady that works at a nursing home said she had 2 large bags of bed linens that I could have. I guess once they stain they just get rid of them, so I've been using those and they work great. I change the bedding once a day in the afternoon, and add an extra layer of bedding before going to bed. So maybe check a nursing home in your area and see if they can help.
Good luck!

I used pine shavings for the first week or so, but it was making it stink a lot quicker the older they got. There is a swap and sell group on Facebook for my area so I asked if anyone had old towels. A lady that works at a nursing home said she had 2 large bags of bed linens that I could have. I guess once they stain they just get rid of them, so I've been using those and they work great. I change the bedding once a day in the afternoon, and add an extra layer of bedding before going to bed. So maybe check a nursing home in your area and see if they can help.
Good luck!

I don't mean to scare you, but I really need to share this:

Be very careful doing this. Old folks in nursing homes are prone to a disease called Clostridium Difficile (C. Diff)... which is a severe and sometimes deadly intestinal infection. It is highly contagious if you come in contact with infected feces. Please, please, please be very careful! The bacteria that cause this infection produce hard-shelled spores that are almost impossible to kill with chemicals (like bleach and laundry detergent) and can live on surfaces for a long period of time and once they are unknowingly ingested they find a cozy spot in the intestines and come to life, reproducing like crazy. I'm not worried about the ducklings, I'm worried about the person changing the duckling's bedding.

I had this infection for months until I was able to successfully treat it (with massive, damaging dosages of antibiotics)... and I still have intestinal issues over a year later from the whole ordeal. It is rampant in nursing homes, although I got it from taking an antibiotic for a tooth infection (the antibiotic is called Clyndamycin).

P.S. I am young (26 now, 25 at the time) and don't have a compromised immune system, so the disease does not only effect the elderly. And young children are also very susceptible to it. This disease is really becoming a problem because it is so difficult to treat and the strain of bacteria is becoming very resistant to treatment. I'm surprised nursing homes are giving away soiled/stained sheets from their residents.

Last edited:
I don't mean to scare you, but I really need to share this:

Be very careful doing this. Old folks in nursing homes are prone to a disease called Clostridium Difficile (C. Diff)... which is a severe and sometimes deadly intestinal infection. It is highly contagious if you come in contact with infected feces. Please, please, please be very careful! The bacteria that cause this infection produce hard-shelled spores that are almost impossible to kill with chemicals (like bleach and laundry detergent) and can live on surfaces for a long period of time and once they are unknowingly ingested they find a cozy spot in the intestines and come to life, reproducing like crazy. I'm not worried about the ducklings, I'm worried about the person changing the duckling's bedding.

I had this infection for months until I was able to successfully treat it (with massive, damaging dosages of antibiotics)... and I still have intestinal issues over a year later from the whole ordeal. It is rampant in nursing homes, although I got it from taking an antibiotic for a tooth infection (the antibiotic is called Clyndamycin).

P.S. I am young (26 now, 25 at the time) and don't have a compromised immune system, so the disease does not only effect the elderly. And young children are also very susceptible to it. This disease is really becoming a problem because it is so difficult to treat and the strain of bacteria is becoming very resistant to treatment. I'm surprised nursing homes are giving away soiled/stained sheets from their residents.

Thank you so much for the info! I will look into getting some other bedding so I don't have to deal with the possibility.

Welcome,
I started with the cheapest hay I could buy from TSC for a thin bedding at the bottom of a 5' kiddie pool. I would add a layer of hay every day or two. By the second day I would put the ducks in a tub, clean the pool, then start the process all over. When I found myself cleaning the pool twice a day, it was time to move out of the shed and into their fenced pasture.

Now they are are in an open bottomed house with wheels on one end. They don't seem to mind the grass and I move it once a week.

Enjoy,
Rich

You all are fantastic... I brought four ducklings home today... had it all set up with pine shavings... yowza could not keep any section of the pen dry .... read this thread and made some changes....

I will do the milk jug thing as soon as we have a milk jug but for the time being put the waterer in a shallow plastic container I had... ducklings have no trouble getting over the side... got rid of the shavings and they are now on old towels (as a Golden Retriever and Irish Wolfhound breeder I have a million old towels) tilted the pen just slightly to keep the water on the water end....

I am hoping I will have a milk carton tomm. and will add that to the list of things to make... my first time with ducklings and there is a learning curve... I will be happy when two of them head home to a friend of mine tomm.... these are the two that I am keeping.... Thank you all for your suggestions and advice ithink it is going to make this all go much better

two go home to a friend of mine tomm.

those are fantastic... I am definitely going to build the first one or something like that to keep their pen dry once they move into the outside area

I have had chickens for a while but have never had ducks so I have alot to learn... thank you so much

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom