Best bedding for ducklings?

I like to keep them on an old sheet or towel that I keep specifically for ducks and chicks, and once they know what their food is (usually after 2 or 3 days) I switch them over to pine pellets that are supposed to be used for horse stalls. Sometimes I mix the pine pellets with pine shavings. It works great because the pellets keep the brooder super dry!

I realize this is an older post... but if you could let me know your wee wee pad supplier, that would be great. I have 3 hairless rescued dogs who use pads every day and they're expensive. Cheaper pads would be really cool.

Has anyone tried. Shredded coconut husk. We used to have a snake and we used to get these solid blocks of shreddedc coconut husk that would expand insanely and pretty instantly when you added water to them. The stuff took no time to dry after adding the water to expand. Snakes kinda have this per /poop ( I call it a schploop) thing very much like ducks, so I wonder if this wouldn't be the best thing? I just want.to know if coconut is safe for ducklings or toxic.?I will do more research and get back to you all!but any input would be appreciated!

Alright so I'm all very new to raising ducks and have never done it before! I am getting my 2 mallard ducklings tomorrow!
smile.png

Anyways, I was wondering what bedding I should use for them?

I have heard that ducks like to eat pine shavings, and it can be harmful to their insides. But then I've also heard that they are perfectly fine as long as you keep an eye on them.

Another alternative would be straw/hay. Again, I've heard both the pros and cons. The ducks don't eat the hay/straw and makes good bedding, but it gets wet quickly where mold can occur and be harmful around the ducks. I have also heard you have to change it a lot more..

This last option actually came from my Dad who, like me, has never raised ducks before. He suggested sand. It would be easy to clean and pretty cheap, but it gets cold and stays wet. Plus, even though ducks are recommended to eat some small gravel, couldn't they eat too much with all of the sand available?

I would only really need this bedding for about 3-4 weeks because by then I plan to have moved my ducks to their outdoor pen w/ grass ground (although i guess I still need bedding for their coop).

So I've pretty much drawn a blank about which to choose.. Let me know which is the best in your guys' opinions! Thanks!
I've been using extra large puppy pads. I put 1 upside down and 1 right side up where I put the water dish it absorbs will the water without leaking then 1 layer every where else.

Alright so I'm all very new to raising ducks and have never done it before! I am getting my 2 mallard ducklings tomorrow!
smile.png

Anyways, I was wondering what bedding I should use for them?

I have heard that ducks like to eat pine shavings, and it can be harmful to their insides. But then I've also heard that they are perfectly fine as long as you keep an eye on them.

Another alternative would be straw/hay. Again, I've heard both the pros and cons. The ducks don't eat the hay/straw and makes good bedding, but it gets wet quickly where mold can occur and be harmful around the ducks. I have also heard you have to change it a lot more..

This last option actually came from my Dad who, like me, has never raised ducks before. He suggested sand. It would be easy to clean and pretty cheap, but it gets cold and stays wet. Plus, even though ducks are recommended to eat some small gravel, couldn't they eat too much with all of the sand available?

I would only really need this bedding for about 3-4 weeks because by then I plan to have moved my ducks to their outdoor pen w/ grass ground (although i guess I still need bedding for their coop).

So I've pretty much drawn a blank about which to choose.. Let me know which is the best in your guys' opinions! Thanks!
Pine bedding or sand either one is really okay to use for your ducks. Really like sand cause you can take a scooper and just scoop the poop off the top and the rest of the sand is okay. Plus it don't stay wet much cause the heat from the brooder light or heater whichever you use. I've used both pine shavings and sand and not work perfectly fine. Don't like using old rags or towels or anything like that cause it's and everyday job taking them out cleaning them or sometimes a two a day job. Good luck with your little fur balls. Their so much fun.
IMG_20210404_115117.jpg

Has anyone tried. Shredded coconut husk. We used to have a snake and we used to get these solid blocks of shreddedc coconut husk that would expand insanely and pretty instantly when you added water to them. The stuff took no time to dry after adding the water to expand. Snakes kinda have this per /poop ( I call it a schploop) thing very much like ducks, so I wonder if this wouldn't be the best thing? I just want.to know if coconut is safe for ducklings or toxic.?I will do more research and get back to you all!but any input would be appreciated!
The only thing with coconuthusk or repti chip or anything like that is it is made to hold water to keep humidity levels high in snake tanks or lizards or whatever. Not the best for ducklings or chicks. Plane sand from river or pine wood shavings. The big pine shavings. They don't hardly have any dust in them.

Back
Top Bottom