Best bought coop

krazycricket21

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Roy
I am looking for a coop kit preferably with a run (in case of bad weather). I have 4 hens at the moment but hope to have a flock of 8-10. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am looking for a coop kit preferably with a run (in case of bad weather). I have 4 hens at the moment but hope to have a flock of 8-10. Any suggestions are welcome.
Never believe the number of chickens they claim it can hold,
get good dimensions and decide if it's big enough.
Most prefab coops are junk, way too small and of bad design.
If you've got lots of money, there are some better ones,
but same advice on size applies and they cost thousands.

If you've got lots of money, there are some better ones,
but same advice on size applies and they cost thousands.

Yup, there are some nice ready-to-go coops (often locally made), but you're paying them for better quality materials and labor and the price shows it. Many of those don't come with runs either.

If that's a route you're thinking of going with, feel free to post links to the coop(s) you're considering and we can critique it.

Not coop kit-A Shed Kit which is only the galvanized steel (not plastic!) braces. You supply the lumber, insulation, and wire and plans separately. Order 2 or 3 kits so you can have a big run attached and insulated feed/brooder room with sturdy shelves deep enough for incubators, brooder bins, supplements, and testing supplies and on the other wall have metal cans for feed and high nails to hang spare equipment, extension cord and folding stool. Build nests to add on for gathering eggs from the outside (with secure latches, not sliding bolts or springs because raccoons learn to operate them), or buy galvanized metal roll-out nests that can attach to the wall (I use the biggest dog crates for breeding pens for trios and the Premier single roll-out nest is perfect so could work in a little coop too). For runs find 3/4 inch galvanized wire mesh excludes larger rodents (chicken wire will allow rats through and stray dogs can rip it). Definitely add flight net on a sturdy support (chicken wire 1" is ok for that and can support some snow). Add a greenhouse solar automatic vent. Used double-pane windows if you can find them; try to collect them before building the walls so you can frame wide enough. For siding use plywood scraps begged from construction site foremen and seal it or buy vinyl siding remnants to cover it, or buy t&g T111 and seal that. Alternate: call a shed mover (not a vendor) and ask them for a reduced price on a used shed "someday" when they are upgrading someone's, then ready site & wait for a call. Add nests on the side and fresh siding. We got one for $200 delivered and repaired it cheaply. If you get freezes, insulate using recycled styrofoam sheets or shippers broken down to sheets with floor underlayment as paneling over it on the walls; paint with glossy to enable pressure-washing. linoleum roll flooring yes! Watch lots of videos on building coops and sheds!

I agree about the prefab kits.

The measurements they use often (almost always) claim the nest box size as part of the coop size. Usable floor space his what you need to be looking at with dimensions.

You will need a 6x8 coop minimum to house 10 hens. Even that will be tight.

Maybe an 8x8 shed kit with a hoop run will work.

Back
Top Bottom