best brand of chicken feed?

I have never used Blue Seal feed. but I heard it was a really good brand.

Quote: that is the best out of the purina feeds the good thing about that feed is that when I used it for my chicks they where twice bigger and healthier than my other chickens when they grew up. good selection of feed... oh and you can still give it to them as Adults they will need it when they go into a molt.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I was using southern states for a long time and happened to switch to Purina at TSC and have seen their combs get bigger and redder, always a good sign! The chickens seem to be doing better. They have all nice fluffy clean butts. If the product works then I don't mind paying a little bit more. My chicks get out for about two hours a day supervised.
I was using Southern States, but had to stop because the feed place that carried it must have been buying the last bags made because they all turned to powder . 5 bags at 2 different batches. They would get these bags that were plain paper with a Southern states tag.

Now that I live in Florida, I use Purina because it's the only one I can find in this area that's fresh. From a Purina feed store.
I just supplement with lots of leftovers and veggies and fruit, and they free range. I use Seminole 10% sweetfeed for scratch because at least it has nutrition in it, and love it because it's about 90% whole oats.

whole oats are very good for chickens it is really good for their feathers it makes them shiny and soft. if you give too much oats they will go into a molt. I had a hen who love the oats so much that she would pick out all the oats from her layers and scratch. them she molted three time that year. that is why chicken breeders give their show birds only oats because they can make the bird go into a early molt so that the can be ready for the show.

Does Home Grown make an equivalent to Flock Raiser or do they just have a layer and starter. I know Purina makes them but can't seem to find their products on the internet anywhere.

Does Home Grown make an equivalent to Flock Raiser or do they just have a layer and starter. I know Purina makes them but can't seem to find their products on the internet anywhere.
Really? Purina is the one of the biggest poultry feed companies out there. Here a link to Purina Mills website- http://poultry.purinamills.com/default.aspx. They have a ZIP code deal where you can find the Purina dealer nearest you. Here a 5lb Bag of Flock Raiser on Amazon.com-http://www.amazon.com/Land-OLakes-Purina-0038553-Feed/dp/B00AOJOBP2

I am also switching back to Country Side Natural.  The purina is crap. Full of soy, etc.  I live pretty close to Fishersville Va so we are fortunate!

Not sure why people don't want soy in the chicken feed. It's healthy for chickens and people. It is hard to know which feeds are good and which aren't. I know when I buy generic food at the store, it isn't as good (taste wise) as the name brands. I would assume it would be the same for chicken feed. Hard to know what feed to use and is best. So many opinions and feeds out there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom