best brand of chicken feed?

Quote:
Mine are on Manna Pro right now. My local Walmart sells it, and it is cheaper than anything the feed stores sell. My girls are eating it up, they're laying great eggs, so....?? I've used Manna Pro horse feeds over the years and been satisfied. The ingredients on the label are similar to other feeds. Purina Layena is over $15 a bag. The Manna Pro is about $10. That's a HUGE difference.

I have been feeding a combination of Purina/Dumor because that is the only reasonably priced feed I could find in my area. All the locally owned feed stores around here have just about closed down and the only one left is TOO expensive on everything they sell. I just found out this week of a mill I didn't even know existed whose laying mash is half the price of what I am paying now. So, I will be trying that next week when I have to buy some feed!!

This thread is fascinating!

OK I need to check on prices for Purina, Dumor (at Tractor Supply?) anything Wal-Mart might sell, etc.

OK the deal on Purina is, no animal products. Some like that, no cattle blood, others don't, chickens need "real protein" not soy.

So I need to do some price shopping and label-reading.

That's all I see around here is that Purina stuff - so we drive quite a bit to get to the tractor and feed supply store and get the Layena but now with everyone posting about Kent, I'm going to see who around us carries that as I want to give my girls the very best....

Quote:
Oh yes. One of my chicks suffered a major vitamin B deficiency episode using that cr*p "food" (chick acted "drunk - search here told he about mega vitamin b therapy and, due to quick intervention, within 36 hours he was able to walk again).

For commerically made foods, I believe that the Cascade Starter, Grower, and Layer is the very best food made IF you are willing to pay for the "best brand of chicken feed" ($30/50#). In Portland, it's available at the Urban Farm Store. If you live outside of Portland, but shop in the metro area, Concentrates on SE 8th also carries it (non-compete agreement only allows Concentrates to sell to non-Portland residents).

65130_layer.gif

For second best in this area, the Qbar farms (yes, the one where I ranted against the developers because of their prima-donna attitude) is also a great food. It is available at Naomi's in SW Portland. It's about $13/25#.

Lot's of great choices in the Portland area.

Last edited:
i have been feeding nutrena and have no complaints with it but then i found another store sells layena and its $2 cheaper and i found purina will send you coupons for $2 off so i will likely buy more of it because of the price. i worry about all the soy in it but with feed prices the way they are i will just have to deal with it

Quote:
I use Dumor, too, and have been happy with it. I give lots of garden stuff in season, and during winter my DH's ex gets greens that are out of date but still fresh from the co-op where she works. I also give BOSS in winter. I raised my laying hens (three years old), my meat birds last summer, and now my dual purpose flock (5 months old) on Dumor. Have not had any problems. I pay $12 - 13 for a 50 lb bag, varies a bit between starter and layer feed.

Quote:

Why is it that no one likes Purina? Just curious.

Most people myself included dislike Purina because most of there feed does not have animal protein in it and it is very high is soy.

Chris

Quote:

Why is it that no one likes Purina? Just curious.

Most people myself included dislike Purina because most of there feed does not have animal protein in it and it is very high is soy.

Chris

X2

Might add overpriced for what you get too. Gotta pay for all that advertising.

Back
Top Bottom