best brand of chicken feed?

Quote:
I haven't tried looking it up on the net or anything, I just asked our feed lady at TSC. This is the lady that buys all the feed in our local store

mississippifarmboy, I accept the order lady at TSC as an authoritative source. She would certainly be in a position to know.

As always, you rock.
thumbsup.gif

Chicken.Lytle :

Quote:
I haven't tried looking it up on the net or anything, I just asked our feed lady at TSC. This is the lady that buys all the feed in our local store

mississippifarmboy, I accept the order lady at TSC as an authoritative source. She would certainly be in a position to know.

As always, you rock.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, i just ask her one day because I'd read it on here, wanted to see what she said.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I haven't tried looking it up on the net or anything, I just asked our feed lady at TSC. This is the lady that buys all the feed in our local store, I've gotten to know her due to having her order special feed in the past and making sure when the supply truck runs on Thursdays there is enough if I'm ordering several hundred pounds or a pallet or something. She said it was made by Purina for TSC to sell as their store brand. She said it was basicly the same feed, just used different grains, different grades of grains and it had added animal proteins. That is the only original source I can personally qoute. She's always been helpful to me, although I know there is a large group of TSC haters on here, they have always been helpful to me as long as you know to ask the right people. The cashiers here don't know anything but the registers.
Basicly both feeds are milled at the same plants regionally across the country, just using slightly different formulas. Of course this lady works for TSC, not Purina, so I'm sure a quick letter to Purina would confirm or repute it if it's important to you.

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

I notice the Dumor crumbles often has a lot of dust in it and sometimes it looks like it didn't get mixed quite right.
I now mostly use AgMaster which is Farm and Fleet's label. It's usually cheaper and a bit more consistent.

I have a label here from the Dumor layer crumbles. It lists "Animal Protein Products" as the fifth ingredient. It also says on the bottom of the tag "Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free" So your guess is as good as mine as to what kind of non-ruminant is in there.

Does anybody here have a tag for the Layena? I'm curious where the Dl-methionine is on the ingredients list.
That's a synthetic amino acid they add to feed. From what I understand, they have to add a lot of it to the animal protein free feed. Personally, I'd rather there be more real animal protein in my hens feed than a synthetic amino acid created in some lab in China.

I also feed my layer flock on AgriMaster. I mix 2 parts Broiler with 1 part layer, and give scratch as treats. I also make sure oyster shell is out free choice. My birds do better with a bit higher protein, and I think it is easier on my rooster's kidneys.

My show birds will be getting 20% broiler feed milled by the local Larndmark co-op this year. I had fed it for a little while last year when we had some extra from my broilers, and I did not notice any difference in my birds. We only fed it for about a month, so maybe I did not feed it long enough. But I was definately turned off by the price of Flock Raiser, so I compared labels with the 20% broiler feed. They were almost exactly the same! And both have the same purpose: to feed to meat producing fowl. We shall see how it goes.

I feed Dumor as my TSC only carries this and Purina which I will not buy. Although if I travel half an hour away to the Family,Home & Garden store I can get different brands... I did try Armana ( I think this is what it's called) it's an alright food but the dust in it is so bad. Worse than Dumor...I mean half the bag was nothing but dust..Won't buy that again.

I've tried Purina Flockraiser only cause I have coupons, but it seems like my birds spread around more than they eat. I have been buying Homegrown brand layer (I think 10.99 for 50 lb bag). The lady at the local feed said it was made by Purina. The tag style certainly looks the same, although the Homegrown has animal proteins. Has anyone else ever tried that Brand? Do you know if that is really by Purina also?

Back
Top Bottom