best brand of chicken feed?

A little research is always good. I've heard it said that 90% of Soy is GMO, Weston A Price Org does not recommend soy. Heck most places don't recommend soy. Something about the way it effects our hormones and for a long time soy could not be processed by the human body until it had been fermented.
http://danyelledemchock.com/the-flo...-the-5-most-dangerous-reasons-not-to-eat-soy/
( just randomly googled this but wow love her video)

Here I was thinking I was doing such a great thing, raising our own eggs. Till I really read the label on the feed bag, not just the protein and fat analysis but the actual ingredients list. I've had chickens for about 4 years and I really thought i was doing good for my family until i watched the video "the world according to Monsanto". The next day i switched to the best thing i could find at my feed store in San Diego, even if i couldn't afford it...., which was Ranch Way All Organic non GMO Non Soy Easy Feed- price $29.95 for 40 lbs ouch!@#*&. In compression the Eco lay mash i was buying before was $16 for 50lbs.

Yup. I believe many people don't have the slightest idea what Corporations like Monsanto are doing to the food supply. Be careful of soy relaced with too much wheat or canola. A percentage of soy is alright so long as it is labeled organic. Varieties of certain animal proteins like no salt tuna, the bugs they get ranging are good.

Its been about 6 months and we are using about 1.2 bags per week of the non soy feed$144 a month compared to 2.3 bags of the Eco $147 a month, 1st ingredient soy, 2nd corn.
I was very afraid to change to something that was going to cost more. I'm still not 100% sure on the ranch -way feed either, but i don't have my own pasture to grow my own feed so until i do I'm open to easy ideas if anyone has any. I am trying to raise worms to supplement the chicken feed. Its slow going so far.
http://www.ranch-way.com/products/organic-feed/easy-feed-organic-no-soy-layer-16

I know this isn't maybe the best place for this type request, but i really do want to know what others are using in the San Diego Area that they purchase locally at the feed store. I didn't know that the hens would eat that much less on the organic food. Has anyone else done any side by side comparassions?

Well, I'm in Northern Cal, and I'm fond of King Feeds organic line as well as Bar Ale's. They have met the demand and so long as they keep producing organic lines of feed, they will get my business.

King Feeds: http://king-brand.com/new/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=79&Itemid=6

Bar Ale: http://www.baraleinc.com/

Like the idea of sprouting seed, I've never done it *on purpose* my wild bird seed sprouted when it rained. It was wild bird seed with sunflower and millet from costco, theres seems to have lots of sunflowers. Anyone know what the analysis is for different type of grain to sprout? I've never asked if the feed store carrys bags of wheat or oats that are raw or ready to sprout.

I've always given percentages of crimped oats among some other proteins beneficial to chickens. Some people feel the need to soak oat groats and feed them to chickens. I never understood that since it can get rancid and then they wonder why their birds get scours. The hulls from the oat also help reduce feather picking and improve feather sheen. I range mine on grassy areas with much variety plus they get a percentage of what I grow in the garden (chard, kale, tomatoes,etc.).

Anyone gone to the beach and scrageved some seaweed? I've seen the sun dryed and ground seaweed at the feed store but its mega bucks something like $40 for 10lbs in a tub. I'm not sure if the ladies would even like the seaweed. I know i do when its mixed with oil or wrapped around sushi :) San diego used to be a big producer of kelp and we had kelp cutters that were out there like half the year cutting away. I can't remember why they stopped if it was fuel cost to high or something like that. Like i was saying this might not be the right place for this question but any ideas to help supplement or add to the health of the flock would be great.

I believe the nutritional values of Kelp can be derived from many other ingredients in a good organic ration. If you can find an affordable source for food grade kelp that would be good though.

I was using southern states for a long time and happened to switch to Purina at TSC and have seen their combs get bigger and redder, always a good sign! The chickens seem to be doing better. They have all nice fluffy clean butts. If the product works then I don't mind paying a little bit more. My chicks get out for about two hours a day supervised.

I show my chickens. and purina is the best poultry feed I have ever used on my birds. they look healthier their feather look great and they have a lot more energy. and here is the proof of how healthy they look. I have used 20 diffrent brands of poultry feed and non of them have worked as well. every one at the shows asked me what I feed my birds. and I tell them purina.

Last edited:
for those who have other birds besides chickens would the nutrena meatbird thats 22% protein be ok for button quail? i am super limited in feed options...i have called a local vet thats a purina dealer and asked if they can get the GameBird Startena but i haven't heard back yet so i have to get the nutrena meatbird or the store brand gamebird starter/grower which if its anything like the rabbit pellets it's most likely complete junk that i'd never feed to my animals.

what makes me nervous about it is that on nutrenas website it says the meatbird enhances muscle development..and i dont want to feed this to my quail if it's going going to make them grow oddly or to fast as these buttons are just pets....should i maybe just go with the non medicated chick starter thats 18% and just up the protein with fish food or fine chopped boiled egg?

and someone in a previous post in this thread said they fed/feed nutrenas 18% all flock pellets...and someone said the pellets are little...how little? little enough for button quail?

Back
Top Bottom