Best brand of laying feed for chickens

Does anyone have an opinion on Kalmback's Flock Maker 20% verse Kalmback's Flock Maintainer 16%?
I have 3 that are now 10 weeks old right now so everyone is on the Flock Maker as my 9 Layer kept eating the baby food. Momma was OK, but the other were just being big piggies! Pics of the Babies at 10 weeks!
I'm still working on talking my hubs into keeping the baby Cockrell (not sure I spelled that correctly and spell check is not helping!). I'm wanting to get into breeding in the future too, IF I can talk him in to it!
I have one rooster and 9 hens. I had 2 roosters, but a coyote got one. I know people don't like roosters, but they have a purpose. Their purpose is to guard the hens and make sure they're fed and safe. They are so handsome and they have a bunch of different calls for the hens. Some are here's a treat call, go to shelter call, etc. Very interesting. Yes they like to mate, but with enough hens it's not a problem. You won't have weird eggs. They may be fertile, but unless a hen is broody and sits on them, there no chick inside. I collect mine every day. Eggs need a high temp to hatch. Not all eggs are fertile despite having a rooster. That's where the expression don't count your chickens before they hatch comes from. I love the crowing.

Yeah, we know about Broody! Momma went Broody at 6 months old this past August so we broke her. She got 3 days inside and in my Office with me till she broke. Well she had other things in mind! She went Broody again 4 weeks later so I got some hatching eggs and here we are With my favorite being definitely a boy and 2 not sure 100% till they crow or lay an egg!
We are hoping the other 8 girls don't decide to go broody this next spring after seeing what momma did with the babies and how much work they were. The girls we have laying are Cinnamon Queens (RIR x SLW).

If someone really wanted to feed soy-free, Nutrena makes something called "Hearty Hen" that's an 18% protein pelleted layer feed. But as always, spot on advice from the BYC crowd. 😁
That is what I am feeding. One of my five girls just started laying, and they played soccer with the egg laid this morning, as it was laid in the run. But the shell didn't break. They get oyster shell on the side, just in case their bodies need it, but in the 7 weeks I have had it out, very little has been eaten. I went with Hearty Hen because it was 18% and I liked the idea of 1 or 2 more percentage points higher in protein. Also, because I can get it at TSC, which is, for now, convenient for me.

That is what I am feeding. One of my five girls just started laying, and they played soccer with the egg laid this morning, as it was laid in the run. But the shell didn't break. They get oyster shell on the side, just in case their bodies need it, but in the 7 weeks I have had it out, very little has been eaten. I went with Hearty Hen because it was 18% and I liked the idea of 1 or 2 more percentage points higher in protein. Also, because I can get it at TSC, which is, for now, convenient for me.
I like that Nutrena is available at both TSC and Chewy. My girls cannot handle a food change, so I need backups at all times 😰

Are they Hearty Hen pellets the mini pellets? Looking for something to put in our treat toys, but I really don't want to buy 50 lbs to find out if it will work.

I like that Nutrena is available at both TSC and Chewy. My girls cannot handle a food change, so I need backups at all times 😰

Are they Hearty Hen pellets the mini pellets? Looking for something to put in our treat toys, but I really don't want to buy 50 lbs to find out if it will work.
The bag has always just said pellets, and since these are my first chickens, and I transitioned them to this as their first layer feed, I am unable to say, because it's the only pellet feed I have experience with.

When I was looking up about feed it said to avoid fish and soy, but every brand says soy or mystery source

Any advice on what brands are safest and best for laying hens? I don't have the time right now to try to make feed from scratch
I was planning to make my own feed with the best grains and ingredients; however, I could find not find the grains I wanted locally, and online purchases were very expensive once the shipping costs were included. Like you, I wanted the best food for my chickens.

Below is the feed I settled on.

As you can see, this highly rated feed (check online for ratings) contains highly recommended grains and ingredients. The cost is also reasonable. I could not find it locally. However, Chewy.com has it. I bought two 30 pound bags and a small $4.95 feeder (to reach $50 for free shipping) for just over $38. To get this price, you must sign up for Autoship. However, you determine the shipping frequency, and you can cancel anytime.

Good luck.

Sorry about the images. I'm a newbie here. I don't why the pics didn't load properly.
Go to Chewy.com and search for Kalmbach Henhouse chicken feed.

Attachments

• 20231212_124019.jpg
    20231212_124019.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231212_124111.jpg
    20231212_124111.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I was planning to make my own feed with the best grains and ingredients; however, I could find not find the grains I wanted locally, and online purchases were very expensive once the shipping costs were included. Like you, I wanted the best food for my chickens.

Below is the feed I settled on.

As you can see, this highly rated feed (check online for ratings) contains highly recommended grains and ingredients. The cost is also reasonable. I could not find it locally. However, Chewy.com has it. I bought two 30 pound bags and a small $4.95 feeder (to reach $50 for free shipping) for just over $38. To get this price, you must sign up for Autoship. However, you determine the shipping frequency, and you can cancel anytime.

Good luck.

Sorry about the images. I'm a newbie here. I don't why the pics didn't load properly.
Go to Chewy.com and search for Kalmbach Henhouse chicken feed.
Most of their products have the same percentages unless its for a different purpose like meat birds, game birds, show birds, or layers. Our Feed store sells it. They have a locate store option and if there is one near you even better. But I agree you can beat the price and I like the all natural part!

The internet is full of wannabe "experts" that are writing blogs for clicks and fame, but know nothing about chickens. Chickens are a fad right now, and the internet is reflecting that. Same goes for various local facebook chicken groups. A lot of myths and misinformation circulate out there. And a LOT of paranoia! I agree with those who said to use this forum instead. There are lots of people on here who have actual experience, and methods that they've tested over time. This site is the best chicken resource out there!

I'm another one of the big fans of flock raiser type of feeds. I use Purina Flock Raiser which is 20% protein and covers all my needs - growing chicks, laying hens, males, retired freeloaders. And I provide calcium on the side (unlimited supply of crushed eggshell, though oyster is fine too). Fish and soy are fine, and Purina is a large and trusted brand so I leave it up to them what they put in there. I'd rather them make use of byproducts from the fish industry that work for this purpose, than add them to a landfill and burden the environment further by creating a whole new pipeline for chicken feed protein. Chickens are scavengers, they don't need organic grass fed filet mignon for their protein needs.

I currently have chicks on Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles as thats what the feed store was feeding them. Purina says it's good for pullets but do you feed this to your mature flock? Any drawbacks? Thanks.​

I currently have chicks on Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles as thats what the feed store was feeding them. Purina says it's good for pullets but do you feed this to your mature flock? Any drawbacks? Thanks.​

Purina Flock Raiser Crumble is the only thing that my mature flock eats. No drawbacks, it's a good feed. My chickens are healthy with shiny feathers and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom