Best brand of laying feed for chickens

Femerithian

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2023
When I was looking up about feed it said to avoid fish and soy, but every brand says soy or mystery source

Any advice on what brands are safest and best for laying hens? I don't have the time right now to try to make feed from scratch

Why are you avoiding fish or soy? They are both good and inexpensive sources of protein. Depending on your answer, what else I say may be a moot point.

Better than a layer formula is an All Flock or Flock Raiser or Flock Maker formula. Most every brand of chicken feed has one of those, and I use the terms interchangeably. They will usually be in the 18-20% protein range.

Layer feed is usually in the 14-16% range. That's what the commercial chicken keepers have found is the LOWEST they can make the feed, and still get good egg production. At their scale, fractions of a percentage matter to their bottom line.

When I was looking up about feed it said to avoid fish and soy, but every brand says soy or mystery source

Any advice on what brands are safest and best for laying hens? I don't have the time right now to try to make feed from scratch
Local feed mills are good. my girls have been on new feed from a local feed mill after laying and health issues with Purina and they are doing great.

No fish or soy was just the first thing that came up on google when I looked up what was best, not sure why the soy though fish makes more sense since I don't think chickens would naturally be able to get fish

No fish or soy was just the first thing that came up on google when I looked up what was best, not sure why the soy though fish makes more sense since I don't think chickens would naturally be able to get fish
Google is always wrong when it comes to chickens, never trust it.
Fish is fine.
Google displays whatever the top paid for result is, it that's usually some blog.

This site right here is probably the best online source for chicken information. We have a vast membership of people from all around the world. Some members know more about how to treat chicken ailments than most vets. Some have read/studied chicken feed extensively. Some have kept and observed chicken behavior for decades.

The knowledge pool here is wide and deep. Ask questions any time.

Unless you have a particular reason why you're avoiding fish or soy, there's no reason to avoid it. I happen to use soy free feeds but I have no preference for it, it's just how the brands available to me come.

This site right here is probably the best online source for chicken information. We have a vast membership of people from all around the world. Some members know more about how to treat chicken ailments than most vets. Some have read/studied chicken feed extensively. Some have kept and observed chicken behavior for decades.

The knowledge pool here is wide and deep. Ask questions any time.
^^^This^^^ I read a book when I started with my flock and now it's collecting dust on a shelf. This is by far the BEST information spot for all things chicken related.

Back
Top Bottom