Best Breed for....(a kinda, sorta, poll)

See this is very helpful...I never even heard of these chickens but Im going to go look them up now! Thanks
They were developed in Canada for the express purpose of being a practical and hardy choice for cold climates. Really lovely birds.

View attachment 1346482 View attachment 1346483 @Blue Eager here is a picture of my silver penciled that lays pink. Do you have one that looks like this in your flock? She is a variety of rock so maybe you have a rock in your flock. I’m no expert just a beginner too but thought this might help you.
Nice pencilling on her. Pink is actually brown genetically. I've had anything from sexlinks to OEGB mixes lay what would be considered a pink colour.

Nice pencilling on her. Pink is actually brown genetically. I've had anything from sexlinks to OEGB mixes lay what would be considered a pink colour.
Yes, its technically brown but its still pretty :) Im a newbie so I have no idea what is what but I just like the color. I figured it was just a light pinkish brown because my other rocks lay typical brown eggs. Do you know if different varieties of rock lay different color brown or is it just you get what you get type of thing? I was just wondering about that. Thanks for the compliment, Im not sure what they are supposed to look like either but I think she's pretty and she's very very sweet.

Yes, its technically brown but its still pretty :) Im a newbie so I have no idea what is what but I just like the color. I figured it was just a light pinkish brown because my other rocks lay typical brown eggs. Do you know if different varieties of rock lay different color brown or is it just you get what you get type of thing? I was just wondering about that. Thanks for the compliment, Im not sure what they are supposed to look like either but I think she's pretty and she's very very sweet.
Just wanted to clear that up for people trying to find 'pink' layers.

I don't know, I haven't tried rocks—sorry. Somehow I've ended up with almost every chook breed out there but them, lol. The barred rocks I've seen laid more of a medium shade of brown like my Chanteclers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chantecler-partridge.47434/
This isn't a good example of a partridge Chantecler, by the way. Check out Chantecler Fanciers International for some good pictures. They're magnificent birds.
CFI

Ill try to get a picture of my pink egg. Very hard to get a true color from my phone camera. You really cannot see the shimmer of the pink. Pink in my hand and in the middle for comparison. Not really showing the color well. k

Beautiful eggs. Thanks for posting a photo.

Here is my pink egg amongst the rest of my girls eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_6605.JPG
    IMG_6605.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Friendliest: Dark Brahma
Most skittish: Easter Egger
Best layer: Easter Egger (medium egg)/Polish (small egg)
Worst layer: Dark Brahma
Largest egg: Dark Brahma
Smallest egg: Polish
Prettiest egg: Easter Egger
Top of pecking order: Dark Brahma
Bottom of pecking order: Polish
Smallest chicken: Polish
Largest chicken: Dark Brahma
Favorite chicken: Polish
Least favorite: Sliver Laced Wyandotte (average layers, not friendly, most likely to pick on other chickens)

My easter eggers look a bit more like the pics of whiting true blues that I have seen rather than typical EEs (i.e. they lack beards, and muffs and look to have a lot of leghorn in the mix) but they were sold as "blue easter eggers." I do not know which hatchery they come from. They lay 5-6 blue eggs a week each which is a match for my polish - my polish are friendlier though.

Neato idea.

Friendliest chicken- Dorking
Most skittish chicken- Fayoumi
Best layer-White Leghorn
Worst layer- Ayam Cemani
Largest egg- Minorca
Smallest egg- Serama
Prettiest egg- Easter egger
Top of pecking order- Aseel
Bottom of pecking order- Sultan
Smallest chicken- Serama
Largest chicken- Jersey Giant or light Brahma
Favorite chicken- ??? too hard. Dominques are one.
Least favorite chicken although I think most of us will have a hard time with this- Showgirl. If I wanted a poodle I would buy a poodle.

* Let's add this:
Breed you've never raised but always wanted to- White face black Spanish

Showgirl. If I wanted a poodle I would buy a poodle.
:yuckyuck

Breed you've never raised but always wanted to
Good idea. Hm, I have tried pretty much every breed that interested me, was available, and seemed practical, but I've always rather wanted one of those frizzled Seramas. Yeah, yeah, they're mop chickens, but they look pretty neat. My OEGBs require enough help in winter, though; I don't need more birds to lug inside whenever it goes below zero.

I wanted Polish for a while, but then I had Sultans and decided I liked chickens that were a bit more intelligent than the average office stapler, lol!

Brahmas are on my hatching list but I've had them in the past so they don't count for this.

Friendliest chicken: White Crested Blue Polish, Isa Browns

Most skittish chicken: Ancona (in a good way if that makes sense, never lost an Ancona to a predator)

Best layer: Isa Brown, Orphington

Worst layer: Easter Egger

Largest egg: Black Star

Smallest egg: Belgian Quail Chicken

Prettiest egg: Super Blue, Ameraucana, Black Star, Lavender Orphington

Top of pecking order: Lavender Orphington (they're tougher than any other of my Orphingtons, but still people friendly)

Bottom of pecking order: Easter Egger, White Crested Blue Polish

Smallest chicken: Belgian Quail Chicken

Largest chicken: Splash Orphington (Largest/Heaviest), Jersey Giant (Tallest)

Favorite chicken: White Crested Blue Polish, IsaBrown, Lavender Orphington, Frizzle/Sizzle

Least favorite chicken: Houdans (Extremely Aggressive), Giant Cochins (Extremely Aggressive), Favorelle (Aggressive towards other chickens), Rhode Island Reds (Extremely Aggressive and 'racist')

I have a large mixed flock, a small bantam flock, and a tiny rooster flock. I don't use any of my chickens specifically for meat/eggs. They're my pets with benefits (the eggs), I am a no Cull farm (unless it's suffering).
I free range everyone except my Polish, Houdans, and small bantams.
I hand tame them from chicks and know each one's personality.
I hope you enjoyed my list :D

Back
Top Bottom