Best breed for backyard coop?

I have a mixed flock. I have one that is noisy and the rest are pretty quiet unless it's snack time.

I have two EE's, New Hampshire, Sex Link (she's noisy), bantam cochin (I have never heard a peep out of her), austrolorp, Millie Fluer D'uccle bantam, dutch bantam.

We have some rhode island reds, some bantams, americaunas, and brahmas. Individual chickens of each breed are different, some loud, some quiet. The real difference between the reds and everyone else, is that we get an egg a day from each red, and because they were our first chickens, they got a lot more hand time, and love to be picked up.
I am surprised that the hen's singing is a problem for your neighbor, maybe if you offered some free eggs? We had to rehome some of our hens to get a friend to take a pair of roosters for us. Now those guys are noisy!

My Barred Plymouth Rocks are really quiet except on rare occasions - it is kind of like they just murmur. Same with my gold sex-link. My Leghorn (Ideal 236) is pretty squawky, and my EE is constantly giving little peeps and cheeps -- but it is low sound.

I agree with the poster that some eggs and a little white noise machine for your night-shift neighbor may resolve any potential noise problem. Hope you find those quiet chickens you seek.

I have BR, BO, EE's, Speckled Sussex, GLW, Australorp & Welsummers. THe loudest by far are the Barred Rocks & Buff Orpingtons, they're just regular chatty Cathy's..talk, talk, talk...all day long. ;) . My Ee's fall in the middle. four of them are very quiet, but one is a real loud mouth. THe quietest in my flock seem to be the Blue Orpingtons, Welsummers and the Australorp.

I just ordered 7 Cochin chicks from Ideal so hopefully I will get 3-4 quiet ones in that batch. Thanks for the advice! This forum is so helpful!

Was just going to post a question re: quietness of breeds. Have a sex-link that seemingly has found vocal cords and her dominance... she's very docile and loving to everyone, but yikes! She's singing all the time.... and I mean ALL THE TIME..... I can quiet her down with treats, but let's face it I don't wanna be in the yard all the time (kinda do)
barnie.gif
I was wondering if each sound means a specific "word" or phrase..... maybe there's too much time for me to think of this.... dunno.

My Barred Rock is so sweet, docile, quiet, and just seems to mutter to herself all day. Kind and curious, I love her.... I really really really don't wanna get rid of the Sex Link, but it may be a neighbor thing.... Ummmmm, can you say suburbia?? Long Beach California!!!

Any suggestions for the lovely girlie would be greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping that the answer is to get more.
fl.gif
I really think an Australorp and Ameracauna would just be about perfect.

I agree that any chicken can be noisy and a lot is personality. I also have a mixed flock and my loudest are the Welsummer by far, the Golden Campine, the Black Star and WCB polish. My EEs, Orpringtons and Brahmas barely squawk at all, they just talk to me in that hen's version of a peep. Everyone else is in between, pretty normal.

They get pretty loud when I come out in the backyard - they crowd around the gate of the run waiting for me to come in and (hopefully) give them a treat.

If you haven't already, you might want to move your coop away from the night shift neighbor's side of the yard.

Back
Top Bottom