1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best breed for broody hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by omegorchards, Jan 5, 2012.

1. omegorchards

omegorchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My concern with Silkies is that they wont be able to cover enough eggs for how I want to hatch my batches. I am thinking about 10-12 Jersey Giant chicks per hen. I am assuming that a single Silkie hen couldn't handle that many eggs/chicks. Is this correct? Thanks!

2. omegorchards

Quote:Good idea I will try that! Thanks.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yep, the big Brahma girls can cover 15-20 eggs successfully.

4. omegorchards

Quote:How prone are they to going broody?

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Opinions differ on Brahma broodiness. My girls are good quality (non hatchery) bred girls and they all been broody, usually from their first year. My biggest hen is broody 3-4 times per year and has hatched (at the age of 3) about 60 chicks so far.

I do not have a single pure bred Brahma that hasn't gone broody and I have about 15.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    For non-hatchery birds I agree, Brahmas are some broody gals!

But for hatchery stock, (most of them in the US) they are rarely ever broody. My hatchery girls have yet to go broody and they're all 3 years old.

Broody commonly available breeds include Silkies and Cochins.

Broody uncommon ones included any show/heritage/non-hatchery dual purpose breed and most especially Gamefowl. They're the best.

My Araucanas are serious broody machines, same with my Shamos. My Sussex (imported stock) are also super broody, too.

7. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    the best brooders are silkies but for standard sized brooders.. i go for cochins. [​IMG]

8. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have a few silkies I hope to do some of that. But my Buff Orps like to go broody and has made a great mamma for 9 weeks. Tonight is her first night in the pen with the big boys and girls.[​IMG]:hit I know it is time.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. omegorchards

Quote:I appreciate the info. Another member said the same thing about their Brahmas.

10. omegorchards

Quote:Thanks for the comment on Gamefowl. I listened to Harvey Ussery (www.TheModernHomestead.US ) speak at this year's ACRES USA conference and he mentioned that his Old English game hens superior mothers. In his book, which is EXCELLENT, I read that he is actually trying to develop his own breed of chicken to serve as broody hens. I think what Ussery is doing is great.

Any ideas on a good source of hatching eggs for gamefowl?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by