Best breed for broody hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by omegorchards, Jan 5, 2012.

1. omegorchards

omegorchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have some suggestions for a good breed(s) of chickens for me to keep to provide me with a supply of broody hens for hatching eggs? I want to avoid bantams as I plan to breed Jersey Giants and want the broody to be able to sit at least 10 eggs. Someone has suggested standard cochins to me. I am looking for a breed that goes broody often and reliably and that is a good mother. Thanks!

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Silkies

3. Standard Cochins and buff orps are the best that I know of....but it differs certainly from hen to hen even in the same breed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Buff Orps are said to be some of the best and can cover a lot of eggs.

Personally I keep Brahmas amongst others and they have been ridiculously broody....some as many as 4 times per season. I have two thinking of going broody at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  5. PlayaChicken

PlayaChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Reno
    my white cochin is my broody beast

6. deepakdavid90

deepakdavid90 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Mukerian,Punjab,India
    Indian Asil hen... she will be go broody after giving just ten eggs

7. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    We've several different breeds but the Coucou de France have proved the most likely to go broody and the best mothers. Collecting the eggs at the end of day can be difficult if they've found them as they'll sit tight and defend the nest, regardless of whether the eggs belong to them. Saying that, only three of the four do this, the biggest and most prolific layer has no interest in brooding.

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    From my experience - Cochins - i dont have them but i hear Silkies as well. I currently in january have two hens trying to go broody now! They are crazy broody!

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Cochins!

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Have you tried asking on the "Where am I, Where are You?" thread to see if someone in your area wants to unload a hen that keeps going broody? (undesirable trait if your goal is egg production...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by