What will the chicks look like?

What breed/cross is the broody hen?? Is that your only rooster??
For the cross with your Buff Orpington hen:
For this one you are crossing two really great breeds. For starters the size is going to be bigger than the Silkie, but yet smaller than the Buff Orpington. But they will differently, mostly be made up of fluff!
My guess is it will be considered a cold hardy chickens because both the parent breeds are cold hardy.
Now to the feathers, or the appearance of the bird. The feathers will most likely take after the Silkie with their silk feathers, but will be a warm, light, creamy color.
They will probably be good layers if its a hen, but you really can't tell much of that - it's normally up in the air with crosses in my experience.
Thank you any ideas for the others?

I'm slightly confused, I thought OP only had female silkies. Wouldn't a silkied×normal feather produce heterozygous silkied, and thus normal feathered birds carrying the silkied feather gene?

They will be a delightful surprise! Were all the eggs started at the same time? That would be important. Where do you live? Is it winter there?
Good luck, keep us updated!

They will be a delightful surprise! Were all the eggs started at the same time? That would be important. Where do you live? Is it winter there?
Good luck, keep us updated!
It is winter but not very cold it rarely goes below 20 degrees F. J can’t wait to see what they look like will post pictures if any hatch!

For the Jersey Giant cross:
This cross, believe it or not, creates a hybrid chicken breed known as the Satin Giant! Those birds are pretty cool looking - go ahead and look them up!
They are small to medium sized birds with a fluffy appearance. They too will most likely take after the Silkie and have hair like feathers. They come in many colors - depending on what variety of silkies that theya re bred with. They will most likely have feathered feet!
Normally they will lay white eggs also.

This cross, believe it or not, creates a hybrid chicken breed known as the Satin Giant! Those birds are pretty cool looking - go ahead and look them up!
They are small to medium sized birds with a fluffy appearance. They too will most likely take after the Silkie and have hair like feathers. They come in many colors - depending on what variety of silkies that theya re bred with. They will most likely have feathered feet!
Normally they will lay white eggs also.
That’s really cool! But mine would be a jersey giant hen crossed with some kind of Cochin rooster mix. My silkies are hens I’m sorry if I confused you! But still that would be a cool breed! Any idea for a jersey giant Cochin cross?
04CFC4CB-B2DC-478C-87A6-58E3B803923F.jpeg
35841121-7D75-471E-86A5-156472D377F4.jpeg
This is one of my jersey giants. The one in the top is one of my roosters the other looks really similar just smaller and lighter colored.

Ok to be more clear I have two roosters I don’t know their exact breed but I believe them to be mostly Cochin.View attachment 3718721
From either of those two males:

Chicks will probably have feathered feet.

For any hen with a single comb, her chicks will also have single combs. For hens with other kinds of combs (rose, pea, etc.) chicks may have combs that match the mother or they may have single combs too.

I expect all chicks to have normal type feathering, not silkie style feathering, even if they have a silkie mother. (If either male is part silkie, he could carry the gene for silkie type feathers, and could produce chicks with silkie feathers if the chicks have a silkie mother. But I think those males probably do NOT have the gene for Silkie feathers.)

From any frizzled hen, a chick has a 50% chance of being frizzled.

Chicks from the Jersey Giant hens will probably be black. They may show a bit of leakage (other color feathers) as they grow up.

From most of the other hens and pullets, the chicks will probably be colored similarly to the males (fathers of the chicks.) They may have more black or less, or have it arranged a bit differently.

I think I see a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte in one photo. A chick from her is likely to have a rose comb, will probably look a fair bit like the males do, but has a 50% chance of showing some blue in the feathers (other 50% will show black, like the current males do.)

Just to clarify something:

For the cross with your Buff Orpington hen:
For this one you are crossing two really great breeds. For starters the size is going to be bigger than the Silkie, but yet smaller than the Buff Orpington... The feathers will most likely take after the Silkie with their silk feathers
No, a cross of Buff Orpington with Silkie will NOT give chicks with silkie feathers.

This cross, believe it or not, creates a hybrid chicken breed known as the Satin Giant!...will most likely take after the Silkie and have hair like feathers.

No, a cross of Jersey Giant with Silkie will NOT give chicks with silkie feathers. Calling it a "Satin Giant" is a good hint: it would not be called "satin" if it had silkie feathers.

For any cross with Silkies:
The gene that causes silkie feathers is recessive. That means any cross of a silkie with a normal-feathered chicken will give chicks with normal feathers. The only exception is if the normal-feathered chicken is carrying the silkie gene (for example, a half-silkie chicken that has normal feathers can be bred back to a silkie to produce some silkie-feathered chicks.)

@GirlsHuntToo It is very difficult to read posts in certain colors. If you want people to understand what you post, I suggest you stick to normal black or at least use dark colors instead of light ones. (I figured out how to strip out the color from the parts I was quoting, so they are easier to read.)

Back
Top Bottom