Best breed for duck eggs?

wullus

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Hi there,
I'm thinking about getting ducks especially to get duck eggs to sell... there is plenty of woman in our community who love baking, and would love to get their hands on some duck eggs.

I currently have chickens, would it be alright if I just get one or two ducks and pen them together? Which is the best breed to get for a "layer breed" if there is such a thing with ducks?

Cheers :)

You will need at least 2 ducks. They are very social animals and require companionship. The best laying breeds are Runner Ducks and Khaki Campbells.

It's no problem at all. As long as you don't have any drakes around they should be fine with your hens. Just remember the require more Niacin as ducklings than chicks do,

That is really good for the Pekins! I have never had any of them before. I thought the Aflack duck was a Pekin, but turns out it's a white Campbell.

My personal experience has been with the Khaki Campbells: I had ducks that were over six years old and laying year round. Sold out of them years ago and have just now gotten new line from JM Hatchery in Pennsylvania. Ended up with six duck (and two drakes.) They hatched first of March and began to lay the first of July. Most days I am getting six eggs (extra large.) Truth will tell on egg production during late fall and into the winter of 2013. Holderread recomends that you only set eggs in the 'off' production seasons, since theory is your best layers will be the ones still laying. Holderread's book on ducks is excellent resource!!!! I hope to order some of his line of Khaki Campbells and the Dutch Hook Bills next spring.

And don't overlook Muscovies! They are superb foragers, very quiet, gentle and smart. While they lay about 100 eggs a year, eggs are nearly as big as a goose egg. They tend to stop laying about October and start up again in January. My ten week old drakes dressed out at 5 1/2 pounds when butchered. Females will dress less than half that, but that's still a nice sized bird!! I think of my Muscovies as laidback sweeties and my Khaki Campbells as neurotic, noisy, nuts!!!

Whatever duck breed you select, just remember if egg quality/production is what you desire, then do your homework and make sure the breeder you purchase from is on the same page!!! A 'show bird' will look pretty, but may or may not lay eggs well!

Have a ducky day!
Donna in Dandridge, TN, USA

Back
Top Bottom