Best breed for egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmGirl21, Nov 10, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    What breeds do you think are the best layers?
    We're thinking of getting some new hens but not sure which breeds and would really appreciate some input.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    What do you already have? I prefer RIRs for laying.

3. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    if your just looking for mass amounts of eggs. white leghorns...brown eggs, RIR or a sex link(hybrid vigor in play there) with EEs you will never know what the egg situation will be but??? up to you

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree. My white leghorns are very good layers.Each of them give me one a day even though I have only two pullets.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My Red Stars has laid an egg a day for almost a month now. I'm beginning to think she has a stash from the grocery store and is just sneaking one into the box every morning.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG]

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    My black sex-links are really laying. I get just about an egg a day from the ones that have begun to lay.

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My girls are young - 6mo. old. However, I have been super impressed with my Cochins and Dominiques. They lay almost daily; they are sweet and absolutely gorgeous!

9. Feather Dust

Feather Dust Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2008
    Medford,NJ
    I think Red Star sex links are the best I've ever had! Although RIR and Barred Rocks are also very good! My red star laid the biggest brown egg's I have ever seen!! It was always in the same place and before 7am. She might have skipped a day once a month at the most!

Happy picking! [​IMG]
    ~Feather Dust

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If that is the case, Kinnip, my red stars are copying yours. They are the BEST layers and soooo gentle, plus you are guaranteed girls. My girls eggs are a deep deep brown, almost as dark as the cuckoos and welsummers in my bator. I am a huge red star (sex linked) fan for sheer egg laying and nice disposition. I will definitely buy more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by