Best breed for gardening. .

Depends on what you are growing, my Seramas do fine in the pepper and tomato garden because they are not tall enough to reach anything or curious enough to fly up into the pots I grow them in. I let all chickens go through my nursery since none of them eat evergreens, they might sample them but they prefer the weeds that grow in the pots. In a traditional Garden its best to keep chickens out because they will forage on the food you want to eat. I heard stories of people using ducks in the garden but I question that being a good idea. maybe some duck owner can chime in on that.

One year, I did raise my chicks in the garden. I carried them out in a cardboard box, laid the box on its side, and they found the box again when it got dark.

BUT the garden was fairly established, they hatched in late May, and they did eat the baby grasshoppers and were not big enough to scratch hard. They hid in the beans, and under the tomatoes to get some shade in the afternoon.

However, within weeks - they were in the coop.

Mrs K

My current chicken yard (1/3 acre) has plenty of trees bushes and some "play equipment" we built for them out of pallets. The compost bin is also in there along with their coop. They seem to have plenty of cover , shade and enrichment. They really dont even try to escape anymore since we raised the fence to six ft. We tried clipping wings when the fence was only 4 ft and that didnt work at all lol
Cochins can barely get over fences. Either the standard or bantam varieties would be good as pets. If you wanted more dual-purpose, could also try Brahmas.

Wasnt sure where to put this. But it does involve flock management.

So i tried having my laying hens free range a couple years ago. They tore upneverything.flower Bushes, tomato plants zuchinni. Nothing was safe from them and i only had 5 at the time.

Now i have 13. 5 rir 2 1/2 years old And 8 EE 18 months.

Id like to get some smaller birds to roam my garden. The layers are fenced into a 1/3 of an acre of their own.

Is there a type of poultry that woildnt be so destructive, can roam the rest of the property. Not fly over 6 ft fencing to get in with the bigger birds. And could i have a rooster without him getting to the bigger girls.

If i cant free eange id consider enclosing rhe garden and having it as part of a run.

What would i do with small eggs? Is there any business in selling fertilized eggs of smaller birds?

Kind of stream of thought questioning here. Sorry if it makes no sense.

We built a run that holds them in , and plan to put a fenced garden adjoining the run for my garden , my plan is to let them run garden in the fall to do clean up, mine is still a work in progress but here’s what I have so far.

Attachments

• 47E0F3CB-3C29-46A9-93CD-B59D7DAE4743.jpeg
    47E0F3CB-3C29-46A9-93CD-B59D7DAE4743.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DB1C090C-271B-4C05-AF2B-67B714E58E2A.jpeg
    DB1C090C-271B-4C05-AF2B-67B714E58E2A.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom