Best breed for hardiness and egg production for desert climate?

I live in Far West TX (Alpine, if you know where that is) and have had my birds for about a year now. I ordered hatchery stock from McMurray, and got an assortment of breeds to try, needing hardy free rangers that are smart enough to escape from predators, etc. on their own. I provided them with a great coop (Fort Knox, as you described) and let nature take its course. My original order consisted of the follwoing breeds...I'll also include a little info on which ones have worked well for me :)

Cuckoo Marans = none living any longer (skunks, neighbor dog & racoons got 'em all) They were great, gentle girls & laid big brown eggs, but all died.

Easter Eggers = all but one living! The one that died was killed by the neighbor dog also (he got 10 of my hens, the b@st@rd). These birds lay very nice sized green or blue eggs, and were the only ones that continued laying through the entire winter. They are also excellent broody mothers (if you want chicks). Two of them have "disappeared" for almost a month, then showed back up with a bunch of chicks, surviving hidden out on a ranch...we have pretty much every predator you listed in your original post, and these birds survived with no coop. I was amazed. They are also very gentle.

Partridge Rocks = all but one dead. These are gentle birds, but not survivors...lay good sized light brown eggs, but they are pretty stupid.

Dark Cornish Game = all alive! These are AMAZING little free range hens, very wiley & predator smart. They are very alert, always in the best places during the day (shade while hot, etc.) and are good layers for me. Their eggs are medium sized, light brown, but they are regular layers and easy keepers. I've spent a good amount of time watching my flock, and these girls seem to be the ones to find all the goodies, and alert the rest of the birds to where they are. They are also very efficient little snake killers - last summer (when they were 6 - 9 months old) they got 11 snakes that I counted...who knows how many there were that I didn't witness. They slacked off on laying over the winter, but have all picked back up like clockwork. Love these birds...they get my highest recommendation based on your criteria. They are also very good eating (I ordered some cockrels also, and dispatched them at about 6 months of age...YUM!)

RIR = pretty much the same results as you've listed in my area. Plus, both my hens & roo are very agressive (the rooster is no longer with us, nasty thing).

Gold Laced & Blue Laced Red Wyandottes = all but three dead. Skunks in my area seemed to have developed a particular taste for my 1/2 grown Wyandottes, and did a number on them. The three that have made it are excellent layers, and seem to be pretty smart now (the cream of the crop, I guess). No laying at all over the winter, but are now laying an egg every other day, large to extra large size.

Overall, I'd recommend Easter Eggers and the Cornish Game hens. They are great!

Thanks for all the hands on great information. I will definitely look at the Dark Cornish Hens and the Easter Eggers. My eventual goal is to have two flocks, one totally free range and one penned. My penned ones are feed a special diet for egg laying. When I finally do set the other ones free they will be allowed to reproduce naturally for meat birds and sale. It was my intention to let all of my original flock of mixed breeds run free once once my RIRs got into full production, but since I lost most of them before they were one year old, I never let the other ones out of the pen. I have a 120 foot by 70 foot divided pen. My coup is built so as to allow my to control access to each pen. I grow natural forage in the pen that is not in use, such as, milo and oat (summer) and winter wheat. When the crop is grown enough I switch flock over and replant the other side. This provides the hens natural food (aside from the lay pellets and oyster shell) and shade in the summer. It also attracts bugs for them to eat. Needless to say, my pen hens are well taken care of. I am already preparing for my free rangers (game hens) though and have planted an acre of winter wheat for them that will be full grown when I let them go. But I don't have a rooster for them right now. I hope I can find a full grown Gamefowl roo to give my game hens when the are set free.

Well, I have decided to go with the American Regular Grey Gamefowl for my new free range flock. The question now is how to get some birds. I have spent hours looking locally, but there are none. So I decided to get fertilized eggs and hatch them out. I have been bidding on eggs on ebay and have already bought a 1588 Genesis with turner incubator. I am hoping to get about three dozen eggs to give me a good start (hoping for 10 out of 12 hatch rate). If anyone knows a good source for this breed, I would appreciate a link. I am pretty excited about this. Hope it all works out.

I'm going to auction in a few hours. There are lots of Grey breeders there. I can ask around. They have been my favorites since I first got Games, but I've never been able to afford any of the really good birds even at auction. I bet eggs would be pretty easy to find there though. Come to think of it I've tried to buy adult birds. Maybe I should just hatch some out. OH! And I bet my neighbor might now too!

Wow, God is amazing! I found a rooster. Amazing story how. Our beloved dog ran away over a month ago. We decided that he will never come back and that our nine year old son needs a new dog because we live so far out in the country he does not have any friends. We wanted a Golden Retriever, but none were to found locally. Our daughter found a puppy for sale down in Houston where she lives and we agreed to meet half way in Hearne, Texas to pick him up (yesterday). A few days ago I found a listing for Grey Gamefowl on Craiglist in Texas. I wrote the seller three emails and gave him my phone number asking him to call me. He never did. We were driving down to Hearne to meet with our daughter yesterday and were about an hour from Hearne when I got a call from the guy selling the American Greys. I asked him where he was located in Texas and he said he was located about an hour southeast of Waco on Highway 6. I could not believe what I was hearing, Hearne, the city I was headed for was located 70 miles southeast of Waco on Highway 6! I was like, "Do you live in Hearne? He said, "Just six miles before you get to Hearne". Wow! At of all of Texas, he was located right where I was headed. So I got a new puppy yesterday and the rooster I wanted! What a day!

Here are some pics.

Below is the American Grey Stag. I don't think he is a pure breed but he is close enough for my purpose (got him for just $20!). I can tell you this, he has an attitude. I will have to keep him caged because he will kill all my other roosters. He is fast as lightening and really mean. He spurred me in the hand twice just getting him out of his carry cage. He has been trying to fight with the other roosters through the fence all day. He has tons of fight in him and that is what I want for my free range flock, but hopefully he will settle down in a few days.

I bought this rooster (below) just because he was so beautiful. The guy said he is a Gamefowl as well. I don't know what kind though. He is also just as feisty as the other roo. I had to put up a solid wall between them to keep them from fighting through the fence. This guy got out into the big pen and tackled one of my other roster instantly and beat him up before I could run over and stop him. I have never seen roosters that want to fight so much. I hate to keep my animals caged, but these two are going to have to settle down or stay caged. Anybody know what kind of Gamefowl this one is?

I know you want to see the puppy too. So, here he is!

Congrats on the roosters! Oh and the pup! You had a lucky day.

The only way you can have those cocks out is if they are tethered. You'll lose too many roos if you don't. Or caged. If you are just putting one out to free range make sure he can't get to your other roos.

I found you someone that can help with hatching eggs. Also BYC member The Pet Peddler. Send him a pm and he can help you out. He's new here and I just met him today although I've seen him a few times at the auction. maybe you can hatch out lots of pullets. Let him know you're the person Kim was talking about.

Oh and there were a few Grey's there today, but I only personally saw two and didn't stay to see how much they went for, but they always go for waaaaaayy over $20, so you done good!

gorgeous roosters you got there!!! what a lucky day that was :)

and that puppy is just adorable -- we have chocolate labs, and i think any retreiver breed is a great dog!

Back
Top Bottom