Best breed for most egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janastasio, Mar 17, 2008.

1. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hello, I'm new to the board. I apologize if this information is somewhere and I didnt see it yet. I am planning on ordering some chicks in the next few days to add to my current flock of egg layers. I currently have 20 hens and 1 rooster. My breeds consist of Aracaunas, Rhode Island Reds, Black Beautys, and some other type of chicken that is black with brown markings. I average about a dozen eggs a day with this group. Less in the winter of course. From what I have heard, some of those breeds arent the most reliable egg layers. I dont plan on adding more than 6-8 hens to the flock, but would like the most productive. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Hi, and welcome! the best white egg comes from white leghorn stock, and for brown eggs, rhode island red stock.

3. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I was considering the Red or Black sex-linked- they are supposed to be super layers. But, the down side is they burn out faster than other breeds, I'm told. Since our chickies are primarily pets supplying eggs for us and our friends, it isn't worth the non-laying years to get high producers. Slow and steady (and long!) works for us.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    White Eggs -White/Pearl Leghorn (pronounced Leggern)
    Brown Eggs - Rhode Island Red, Red or Black Sex Links.

5. ChickenSquat

ChickenSquat Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Social Circle,Ga
    I think the best brown egg layers are Black Austrolorps, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock. Jmo.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by