Best breed for most egg production

janastasio

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
New Hampshire
Hello, I'm new to the board. I apologize if this information is somewhere and I didnt see it yet. I am planning on ordering some chicks in the next few days to add to my current flock of egg layers. I currently have 20 hens and 1 rooster. My breeds consist of Aracaunas, Rhode Island Reds, Black Beautys, and some other type of chicken that is black with brown markings. I average about a dozen eggs a day with this group. Less in the winter of course. From what I have heard, some of those breeds arent the most reliable egg layers. I dont plan on adding more than 6-8 hens to the flock, but would like the most productive. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

I was considering the Red or Black sex-linked- they are supposed to be super layers. But, the down side is they burn out faster than other breeds, I'm told. Since our chickies are primarily pets supplying eggs for us and our friends, it isn't worth the non-laying years to get high producers. Slow and steady (and long!) works for us.

I think the best brown egg layers are Black Austrolorps, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock. Jmo.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom