Best breed for my needs?

Chandice

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2015
I am not sure what breed would be best... we plan on having some meat birds but I would like a breed that is good for that as well as hatching chicks so that I don't have to buy replacement birds. So I guess what I would need is a broody meat bird? Not sure.

I am not sure what breed would be best... we plan on having some meat birds but I would like a breed that is good for that as well as hatching chicks so that I don't have to buy replacement birds. So I guess what I would need is a broody meat bird? Not sure.

It sounds like what you are wanting is a "dual purpose" breed - they are not as rapidly growing or heavily bodied at processing as a traditional "meat" bird, but this is advantageous when you are wanting to build a self-sustaining flock vs. purchase chicks, raise to process and repeat. I would suggest doing some reading of the threads here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248648/meat-section-notable-archives that deal with choosing a meat bird as they have some great information on the various options that will help you to sort out what is a good fit for you.

Back
Top Bottom