Best breed for preschooler pet?

Bantams: Seramas, Silkies, Sizzles, Bantam Cochins, Ko Shamo, Booted Bantams, D'Uccles, Bantam Cornish, Japanese Bantam, Old English Game Bantams.

Standards: Cochins, Brahmas, New Hampshire Reds, Barred Rocks, O Shamo, Orpingtons, Faverolles.

Last edited:
In the small oriental games like the Ko Shamo or Yamato Gunkei, mean birds are all but unheard of, male or female, many people from other cultures seek these exclusively for children's pets or first chickens.

And this, absolutely. I haven't owned the Yamato but Ko's are some of my favorite birds. About the size of a pigeon, so easy for kids to handle. They're muscled like tiny body builders, and they've got great personalities. Hilarious to watch them strut around the yard. And one of the few very small bantam's that mix easily with standards; they take attitude from no one, and can boss around even their bigger O-Shamo cousins. I had one O hen who grew up with a Ko; she's now just under 2 feet and the Ko is still about 5 inches tall, and the O is still scared half to death of that little bird.

Im in a suburban area and have seven buff orpingtons. I have a daughter who turned five not too long ago. Buff Orpingtons are a great breed. Quieand docile. Mine are getting use to being handled a lot. Ive yet to be pevked by them.

And this, absolutely. I haven't owned the Yamato but Ko's are some of my favorite birds. About the size of a pigeon, so easy for kids to handle. They're muscled like tiny body builders, and they've got great personalities. Hilarious to watch them strut around the yard. And one of the few very small bantam's that mix easily with standards; they take attitude from no one, and can boss around even their bigger O-Shamo cousins. I had one O hen who grew up with a Ko; she's now just under 2 feet and the Ko is still about 5 inches tall, and the O is still scared half to death of that little bird.

Another plus for the oriental games that make people really love them for kids is that they are usually super long lived.

In the small oriental games like the Ko Shamo or Yamato Gunkei, mean birds are all but unheard of, male or female, many people from other cultures seek these exclusively for children's pets or first chickens.

Ok, I had to look that one up lol... Oh my! That has got to be the cutest chicken I've ever seen! It's like a "runner" chicken lol ;)

KoShamoBtyCkl.JPEG

Must have little tiny runner chicken! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, they're rare breeds. Few people know of them. Yamato Gunkei are very rare, Kos are easier to find. Really nice ones can cost upward of $100 but pet type can be as cheap as $30 a bird. Here are a couple of my Kos I got for $30. Granted I am near Sacramento, one of the Oriental gamefowl hotspots in the US, so I may be overestimating how easy you can get them in the rest of the country.

Thank you all so very much for your replies! They have been very helpful. After reading your posts and researching breeds we're thinking of getting 1 Black Australorp, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Buff Orpington. We think they will do well up here in PDX but would love any more opinions! Also has anyone up here got a chicken coop from Animal House? I saw their facebook page and was considering buying from them.

I love my australorp and have two more 3 week old growing now and they are very friendly but I have to say of all my birds (silkie, frizzle, faverolle) they are the only ones I wouldn't let my 3yr old granddaughter give food to out of her hand. They are so food motivated even the 3 week old peck your hand really hard trying to eat from it. I make sure she only feeds them from a container so she doesn't end up scared because they peck too hard. Just though it worth mentioning so you can watch for that too.

Back
Top Bottom