Best Breed If We Cannot Let Them Free-Range

I introduced Rhode Island white that I keep penned separate as they are a heritage bird that is threatened here, they do confinement a lot better raised as chicks to it than my Rhode Island whites, I know bantam's take less space as do silkies. putting up things even leaning a stray piece of wood or planting a bit of shrubbery inside the anything you can give them to give them some hiding spots if they are ever being picked on usually helps too, maybe take a piece wood and rope and hang a chicken swing or other items that will keep them from getting to bored will also help too, I occasionally add a head of lettuce or cabbage or even a small block of seeds into a net bag and hang it as it's good too for enrichment and keeping them busy as busy chickens don't have time to bully each other. Also have more than 1 feed water station available for them.

According to the Purina plans, the coop is big enough for 8 (although I only had 6). It is located inside a run that measures approx. 15' X 10'. Then, I added an extra run that they use during the day. It measures 12' X 10'. So, I think they have plenty of space.
Their plans and what really works are not always true unless you have smaller birds like bantams, quail, or silkies lol

According to the Purina plans, the coop is big enough for 8 (although I only had 6). It is located inside a run that measures approx. 15' X 10'. Then, I added an extra run that they use during the day. It measures 12' X 10'. So, I think they have plenty of space.

Well, again, you didn't post coop measurements so I don't know that you have enough space and I don't know that you know what enough space is. You might not even know if you don't know.
I saw a coop once that was like 4x6. It advertised itself as holding up to 26 chickens, which is less than 1 sqft per bird. They'd literally be standing nose to tail in that space with 26 birds with your average large fowl, and chickens like jersey giants or shamo would literally not even physically fit in that space. I think the person in question had "only" 18 birds in a coop that size and had no idea why they were fighting/crowded because they were so many fewer than the maximum number of chickens. The reality is that companies like purina don't always tell the truth about coop size in relation to how many birds it is. Which doesn't guarantee your coop is too small, it could be sized right, but how big it is could be a factor. And nobody would be able to know unless you say about how big it is?

And you're right, I did mis-calculate your run size, it's much larger than I initially thought. But an empty run is still a boring open space that chickens can fight in and be bored in easily.

It does sound to me like there's more going on than breed. The idea of giving a higher protein feed is also usually a good one.

Thanks again for all your help.
Looking at what is available locally, I think I'll get some Australorp - New Hampshire crosses. They are quite big, so I might just get 4. The breeder will only have them in early December, so I have some time to work on the Taj Mahal!

I would suggest bantum breeds also. If you want bigger hens then Easter Eggers are very docile and Buff Orpingtons are also in my experience. I also have White Leghorns, but they are not typical to the breed characteristics as they are extremely outgoing, friendly and sweet.

I decided to go with Australorp-New Hampshire crosses. They weren't too easy to source - had to drive 200km each way to collect them. They are gorgeous and settling in nicely. They are very different to the Isa Browns - much more relaxed, but a little more nervous. That may be because they are still young (20 weeks) and weren't used to people when they were at the breeder.
You can see them here:

I decided to go with Australorp-New Hampshire crosses. They weren't too easy to source - had to drive 200km each way to collect them. They are gorgeous and settling in nicely. They are very different to the Isa Browns - much more relaxed, but a little more nervous. That may be because they are still young (20 weeks) and weren't used to people when they were at the breeder.
You can see them here:

Very nice. Thanks for the great pics.

Back
Top Bottom