Best Breed of Chicken for my Daughter to show at fair??

Dawneebird

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Pensacola
Hi everyone! I would like to purchase a hen for my daugter to raise and show at our local fairs. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks a BUNCH!!

Depends on her age, if she's a primary (6-9) I'd say getting some Old English Game bantams, Cochins, or Rosecombs. If she's older, maybe some large fowl chickens, like Buff Orpingtons, Brahmas, Delawares, Barred Rocks, Australorps.

I've been showing since I was 6, but always stuck with big fat Jersey Giants
lol.png

Just one hen? Chickens do much better in groups. If you get bantams, you can keep about 3 in the same space you could keep 1 large fowl. They're easier to handle for kids, too.

Modern Games would be great. They do well in hot climates.

You are best getting at least 2, as chickens are social creatures. I would stick with Old English Bantams or Modern Game Bantams if she is new to showing and handling chickens. They are small, easy to show, and usually easy to find. Silkies are awesome birds for kids, and have the most docile personality, BUT they are harder to show.

I'm showing my D'uccle at fair in a week. She is super easy to handle and much cuter than a modern game bird. I've only had her a couple of months and she was terrified of people when I got her. Now when I walk up to her she jumps into my hand.
clap.gif

I'm showing my D'uccle at fair in a week. She is super easy to handle and much cuter than a modern game bird. I've only had her a couple of months and she was terrified of people when I got her. Now when I walk up to her she jumps into my hand.
clap.gif
Don't be dissing my cute little Moderns!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom