BEST BREED OF GOAT FOR A BACKYARD FARM

We're looking at either Arapawa or San Clemente goats. Mostly because we don't need a ton of milk, so low producers are not a big deal. They are on the critical list, small (a must for us) and give enough milk to more than suffice for us to have two does and a kid. We haven't set our hat at either one, yet - though, we have found a breeding pair of Arawapas and are talking to the owners.

We have Nubians since we are interested in dairy, but you can still eat the extra buck kids if you want meat. Goats are also useful for clearing brush/brambles and supplying material for your compost bin. :)

I would suggest trying to get a sample of milk from a goat (or from a line or breed of goats) if you're thinking of getting them for milk. I just got a new doe (3/4 Nubian) and 2 baby doelings, after not having goats for several years. Our previous goats were Nubians. The farmer had several goats she was willing to sell, from Saanen (and high-percentage Saanen) to Alpine, to Nubian. We tried the milk from one doe who was Saanen/Alpine, and ended up getting the 3/4 Nubian girl we have now. I have to say, I did not like the milk from the first one, and that's the first time I've had goat milk I did not like! It was awful, tasted sour to me! It might just be a taste bud difference, or what the goat was being fed in that home, but lesson learned.

The girls, riding home in the back seat of hubby's truck:

Last edited:
I would suggest trying to get a sample of milk from a goat (or from a line or breed of goats) if you're thinking of getting them for milk. I just got a new doe (3/4 Nubian) and 2 baby doelings, after not having goats for several years. Our previous goats were Nubians. The farmer had several goats she was willing to sell, from Saanen (and high-percentage Saanen) to Alpine, to Nubian. We tried the milk from one doe who was Saanen/Alpine, and ended up getting the 3/4 Nubian girl we have now. I have to say, I did not like the milk from the first one, and that's the first time I've had goat milk I did not like! It was awful, tasted sour to me! It might just be a taste bud difference, or what the goat was being fed in that home, but lesson learned.

The girls, riding home in the back seat of hubby's truck:

that little white one is too cute!

Quote: Dory! thats a good one, number 102 though? Does that means you have 102 goats?!
ep.gif

Everyone is going to tell you their breed is the best. :) Nigerian dwarfs are what I have, and I love how adorable they are and the wide range of color.
All breeds are cute, and individuals from any breed can be equally friendly, depending on how much they are handled. Of course the smaller breeds (pygmy, Nigerian, or crosses of these) are a little cuter, and are better for backyard goats simply because of their lack of size.
There are variations in personality though, among breeds and individuals. Also, there are color variations, ear type variations, etc.
You should do research comparing the different breeds and decide what will best meet your needs. Whatever breed you get, you will fall in love!
Here is a page I wrote on the basics of goat care. http://www.rockyhollow.net/animalcare.htm

Last edited:
Everyone is going to tell you their breed is the best. :) Nigerian dwarfs are what I have, and I love how adorable they are and the wide range of color.
All breeds are cute, and individuals from any breed can be equally friendly, depending on how much they are handled. Of course the smaller breeds (pygmy, Nigerian, or crosses of these) are a little cuter, and are better for backyard goats simply because of their lack of size.
There are variations in personality though, among breeds and individuals. Also, there are color variations, ear type variations, etc.
You should do research comparing the different breeds and decide what will best meet your needs. Whatever breed you get, you will fall in love!
Here is a page I wrote on the basics of goat care. http://www.rockyhollow.net/animalcare.htm

I agree, everyone thinks their breed is best! :D We had a Nigerian Dwarf at one point - undeniably adorable, but we had Nubians for quite some time; the size difference, especially as a young'un, caused some problems. Consider your housing & fencing needs carefully, regardless of the breed! Whereas we wanted milk for home use, we started with Nubians (and added the ND, even though we didn't end up keeping her) based on general overall milk quality - NDs and Nubians have the highest percentage of milkfat, as a breed. Each needs to be evaluated as an individual.

I did not find it hard to learn goatkeeping, but I come from a farming background, and since building our barn 18 years ago we've had horses, then alpacas, chickens (and turkeys at one point), sheep, and goats.

Back
Top Bottom