Best breeds for broody hens?

Hot climate, hatch and raise would be nice but just hatch is good too as it’s better than what I have right now. I’m okay with bantam or full size. My birds free range so NO SILKIES or COCHINS Please. I already said in my original post and that’s all anyone is recommending.
My Mille Fleu(sp) is a broody nut, lays eggs for a few weeks and then goes broody, also a great free ranger. Has been doing this for two months now. I break her and in less then a month or so, she is broody again. She is only one year old, so I have not tried her as a broody mom yet.

I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies. Neither would do well with my climate. I’ve heard Orpingtons are good but at the same time the only person I know who keeps them has 2 that are over 10 years old still lay and have never gone broody!
I have a Barred Rock who goes broody every season. She has hatched out Orpingtons and Copper Marans from the other girls who are not "maternal." She is 6 years old -still laying and brooding -quite a girl!

Back
Top Bottom