Best breeds for broody hens?

Pics
I’ll have to look into those. I’ve heard they are good free rangers too! Thank you!
I have Black Australorps who free range and go broody. One raised chicks last year and she was a great mom, showing them the ropes, where to find food, etc. Two others went broody at the same time but I only let the one have eggs. No one had been broody until I left eggs in the box for 3 days; then, whamo! 3 broody girls!

Hot climate, hatch and raise would be nice but just hatch is good too as it’s better than what I have right now. I’m okay with bantam or full size. My birds free range so NO SILKIES or COCHINS Please. I already said in my original post and that’s all anyone is recommending.
My experience with Austrolorps proved to be broody. One hatched some fertile eggs for a neighbor. She was a very attentive mom. They have gotten to be huge birds.

I’m looking at adding to my flock and one of my main goals is to add some breeds that will go broody. I am not interested in either Cochins or Silkies.

Breeds I've had that went broody:
--2x Red Shouldered White Yokohamas from McMurray hatchery
--Dark Cornish (standard size) from McMurray hatchery
--White Laced Red Cornish (standard size) from Ideal Poultry
--White Laced Red Cornish Bantam from Ideal Poultry
--Spangled Cornish Bantam from Ideal Poultry
--Wheaten Old English Game Bantam (OEGB) from Ideal Poultry
--Red Quill Old English Game Bantam from Ideal Poultry
--Millie Fleur Old English Game Bantam from Ideal Poultry
--Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam from Ideal Poultry
--Indian Red Jungle Fowl from Ideal Poultry
--Buff Chantecler from Ideal Poultry

There may have been a few more, but those are the ones I can easily remember.
Ideal has dropped a few of the bantam breeds from their list since I bought those.

Some I broke their broodiness, others I allowed to set on fake eggs and then got them to adopt & raise chicks for me (I didn't have a rooster at the time, so no fertile eggs.)

My list has no feathered feet, and no crested heads, but is heavy on pea comb breeds (good in cold weather). I don't know how they'll do with your level of heat, but they did fine in northern Virginia, hanging out in the shade under some trees during the summer.

I cannot say how likely it is for other hens of those breeds to go broody, just that one or more per breed did for me, and I had no more than 3 of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom