Best breeds for hot humid climates?

I have wyandottes. They do just fine in the Houston heat.

Be careful about adding birds to your flock.
Adding chicks from a major hatchery is usually safer than buying birds off or Craigslist. Better chance of o.not bringing home diseases.
Oh if and when we do it will be from a hatchery. We went the TSC route this time and learned some lessons haha.

Combs have a high surface area to volume ratio and good blood flow, which allows them to shed heat.

I'm in south Louisiana and have some young buff orpingtons and bielefelders. The orpingtons are handling the heat better than the bielefelders.
This is very interesting, and the first time I’ve read anything regarding the comb size. Thank you for sharing!! I’m in SW Texas… and the heat has been absolutely insufferable… I even gone to lengthy mess sure of letting my flock which is small at the moment into the backyard we’re is a lot cooler from all the shade trees and sprinkler system…. I’m pleased to say we got this now! 😂😂

My flock consists of Speckled Sussex, blue laced Barnevelder, Buff brahmas, and Plymouth Barred Rock… my Buff Brahmas do find it hard but not any worse that’s the rest I don’t think. A nice slow sprinkler does the trick or cool treats… watermelon and berries are a favorite… I like the sprinkler option because they choose if they want to get wet it’s not forced. And right now the last any of them want is to sweep inside a coop 😂. I just recently caught them all in the roof of the coop! As long as the are in the run they can roost where they want till I make some changes… it’s just too hot for me stay structured in the heat.

Last edited:
@3KillerBs has Australorps, lives in a hot & humid area.

Yes, my Australorps are excellent in the heat.

They have clean legs, fairly-large combs, and a lighter build for a dual-purpose breed.

One thing I've been doing is to get my birds from a hatchery in a hot climate -- Ideal being my favorite. That way I know that they come from parents that thrived in heat. :D

Yes, my Australorps are excellent in the heat.

They have clean legs, fairly-large combs, and a lighter build for a dual-purpose breed.

One thing I've been doing is to get my birds from a hatchery in a hot climate -- Ideal being my favorite. That way I know that they come from parents that thrived in heat. :D
How hot is hot for you in NC?

Great idea to find hatcheries in hot climates!

I've gotten some Egyptian Fayoumis since my last comment and I must say that they're both strikingly beautiful and have excellent survival instincts. These birds have lived their entire lives in a coop and their wings are clipped from the previous owner. Yet right now they're roosting 10 feet up in a mangrove tree

Perfect for heat (so far) but extremely flighty. They're basically just as comfortable with me as the squirrels are

Ho hun,
That’s right, my girls pant which is very weird to see. I have misters to keep them cool which a couple run through with their wings out. My leghorn/aracuna cross has a mamouth comb and she has no problem in the heat, however I have avoided the fluffy breeds with smaller combs as they suffer with heat stress.
Hugz

Back
Top Bottom