Best breeds for hot humid climates?

I'm impressed yours do so well out like that. Do you have predator issues in such a wooded area?
I have predators but I wouldn't call them issues. They do eat chickens but like in most natural settings, it's only the weak, old and sickly

My entire land has a perimeter fence and about half of my flock leaves every single day to explore a state forest. They all return by dark, but they dump their eggs here and raise their babies here, so it all works out nicely

I’m new to this. Could you explain how combs relate to heat tolerance?
Combs discharge heat from the body. The larger the comb, the easier heat is displaced

Have you looked into Egyptian Fayoumis? They are almost as pretty as wyandottes in my opinion. I have heard of wyandottes bred with single combs, but never went looking for them. Maybe they would be happier in the heat than the rose comb ones?
This is actually the next breed I'm working on adding to my flock. They're supposedly very tough, great free-rangers and have a fascinating history

I currently have a RIR, White leghorn, EE, buff Orphington, and what we think is a Cuckoo Maran. All about 5 weeks. I’m reading that they’re all ok for the hot climate here (north Florida. Very Hot and humid summers and some freeze or close to freeze in the winter overnights). I can’t stop looking at lace wyandottes online but see mixed reviews on their heat hardiness. Are they terrible for this climate? What other breeds handle heat well?
Will say leghorn I’m from Delhi India and my city temperature reaches 40-42c and my roosters stay all happy never show issue we’ll both live 5.5 years they passed away last year :( but leghorn is very good for hot cities

Chickens can't sweat - in order to bleed excess heat, they have very few strategies. Open mouthed breathing. Holding their wings away from the body to provide more surface area for cooling. Dig into the soil - preferably in a shaded area - and bed down (the earth is a few degrees cooler than the air even just 2-3" down.

and finally??? Just like elephants with their ears (as the best known example) pushing blood flow through a large prominent comb with all that surface area allows them to bleed heat in that fashion. Clean legs, similarly.

Ditto. This guy is my best example. No physical signs of discomfort, maybe when it gets 45 degrees Celsius (give or take)
20230211_144409.jpg

Chickens can't sweat - in order to bleed excess heat, they have very few strategies. Open mouthed breathing. Holding their wings away from the body to provide more surface area for cooling. Dig into the soil - preferably in a shaded area - and bed down (the earth is a few degrees cooler than the air even just 2-3" down.

and finally??? Just like elephants with their ears (as the best known example) pushing blood flow through a large prominent comb with all that surface area allows them to bleed heat in that fashion. Clean legs, similarly.
I had no idea about the comb! Very interesting.

They’ve all been rolling around in the sand and laying flat in the ditches they make. Thankfully they have tons of shade.

My Japanese bantams are wonderful, mellow, sweet, quiet, and the hens really do not bully others, they simply give a little feather grab and a growl as a warning to back off. They do well in heat due to them having thin plumage.

However, the cons: They do require a bit more interaction or else they will become flighty later on. The eggs are usually every day but are tiny being bantams and will range anywhere from .60 OZ to 1.10 OZ

Meat is obviously not great being a small bantam.

Combs and wattles are rather small so they don’t get frost bit for me, (however the roosters get very large so are more susceptible)

My Seramas handle heat very well, since they are a tropical breed to begin with. They’re a good choice ONLY if you’re looking to raise an ornamental and super-friendly breed. They would be a good fit in your Florida weather, since supplemental heat during winter wouldn’t be required. I live in NE Ohio, so I have to provide my teeny flock with extra warmth when the temperatures dip.

My Seramas handle heat very well, since they are a tropical breed to begin with. They’re a good choice ONLY if you’re looking to raise an ornamental and super-friendly breed. They would be a good fit in your Florida weather, since supplemental heat during winter wouldn’t be required. I live in NE Ohio, so I have to provide my teeny flock with extra warmth when the temperatures dip.

How low can they winter temps go before they need heat supplementation?

Back
Top Bottom