Best breeds for hot humid climates?

How low can they winter temps go before they need heat supplementation?
I’ve read so many articles about not allowing the temperature inside the coop to dip below 40 for Seramas. But, I’ve also read that other “Northern” Serama owners claim theirs can tolerate well below 40. I’m one to worry TOO MUCH about my tiniest chickens, so I manage to keep them fairly comfortable above 40+ inside their insulated building. On extreme bouts of cold, if I’m unable to retain an inside temperature of 40, I run temporary heat by the use of a wall unit with an automatic shutoff once it reaches the right temperature inside the building. I must admit that I take a few extra measures to ensure that my tiniest chickens stay winter-safe.

I’ve read so many articles about not allowing the temperature inside the coop to dip below 40 for Seramas. But, I’ve also read that other “Northern” Serama owners claim theirs can tolerate well below 40. I’m one to worry TOO MUCH about my tiniest chickens, so I manage to keep them fairly comfortable above 40+ inside their insulated building. On extreme bouts of cold, if I’m unable to retain an inside temperature of 40, I run temporary heat by the use of a wall unit with an automatic shutoff once it reaches the right temperature inside the building. I must admit that I take a few extra measures to ensure that my tiniest chickens stay winter-safe.

Interesting. This is pretty much how cold it gets here. *maybe* 5 °C during the night, but that is for 2-3 weeks only. I can't provide any sort of heat down there, only some thick tarps that could help keep the coop a little warmer

Interesting. This is pretty much how cold it gets here. *maybe* 5 °C during the night, but that is for 2-3 weeks only. I can't provide any sort of heat down there, only some thick tarps that could help keep the coop a little warmer
Tarps make such a big difference…. keeping away cold wind and using chicken body heat to help warm the coop interior.

Also Florida panhandle here. All of my chickens live outside full time and sleep in trees at night. To date, I have never had an issue with the weather

I have a very wide range of birds outside, from red junglefowl to these fat brahma that can barely get into trees. All handle heat, cold, rain, perfectly fine

My land is heavily forested though and they always have access to cold water. I would never put any chicken of any breed into a coop or ugly square lawn in this heat
Do you or @U_Stormcrow or anyone else in the panhandle type climate have (or had) Australops? Reading that they aren’t super heat hardy but then I see posts here saying otherwise.

I currently have a RIR, White leghorn, EE, buff Orphington, and what we think is a Cuckoo Maran. All about 5 weeks. I’m reading that they’re all ok for the hot climate here (north Florida. Very Hot and humid summers and some freeze or close to freeze in the winter overnights). I can’t stop looking at lace wyandottes online but see mixed reviews on their heat hardiness. Are they terrible for this climate? What other breeds handle heat well?
I have wyandottes. They do just fine in the Houston heat.

Be careful about adding birds to your flock.
Adding chicks from a major hatchery is usually safer than buying birds off or Craigslist. Better chance of o.not bringing home diseases.

Do you or @U_Stormcrow or anyone else in the panhandle type climate have (or had) Australops? Reading that they aren’t super heat hardy but then I see posts here saying otherwise.
No Australian Black Orpingtons here

I do however have four lavender Brahma/Orpington cross hens and they've never shown a single sign ever of being bothered by heat. Again though, they have unique circumstances by living on a freshwater spring. Perhaps that's why they don't have heat issues

Rhode Island Reds are tougher and of similar build and purpose if you're uncertain about chicken toughness. They're always very hardy. More than Orpingtons I believe

This is actually the next breed I'm working on adding to my flock. They're supposedly very tough, great free-rangers and have a fascinating history
I loved the fayoumis I had, they were beautiful, full of sassy personality & great foragers…. But also overly fearless. They’d roam away from the rest of the flock and we’re pretty much hawk bait. I have some of their mixed offspring that still have their wild steak but enough sense to take cover. Also fayoumis roosters have a high pitched crow that I found super annoying.

For op I’m in Georgia and it’s pretty hot & humid. I have a mix of comb & feather type and I know the big combs are supposed to help keep them cool but I do still seem to notice similar amount of panting and wing lifting type behaviors across the flock. I have buckeyes and they have tiny combs & lots of feathers but they don’t seem phased by the heat. I

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom