Best broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ingv8700, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Ok now that i am done with my hatching of the eggs and I have 22 chicks

I need to move on to Meat chickens

I am looking for a good hearty bird that wont take that long to gain some weight and we can butcher in a short amount of time

any ideas on what type of broilers to get??

thanks

KYLE

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

bird that wont take that long to gain some weight and we can butcher in a short amount of time

Cornish -Xs only problem is that they start having heart-attacks about the time you start butchering them (at 8-10 weeks)​

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    The Cornish X is the king of broilers without any daught. They were selected for over 60 years to be butchered at 4-6 pound carcass at 6-8 weeks of age. Their rapid rate of growth will shorten their liffe span , but that is a trade off that is of minor improtance as very few will ever reach egg laying age. There are other breeds off dual purpose birds, however they will still consume the same amount of feed but will take at least two to three times as long to reach the same weight with twice the labor and lots of crowing and other insidental costs.

4. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    If you are looking for something to free-range a little bit I really like the broilers from JM Hatchery. They gained well and taste great! They also handled the heat here well and I didn't have to worry about them dying.

5. ingv8700

ingv8700 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Pequot Lakes, MN
    Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by