Best Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheChad, Apr 3, 2009.

1. TheChad

TheChad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bucyrus Ks
    I was thinking of getting a good hen to make a broody hen. What breed would be the best. I raise RIR, EE. and White leghorns. I dont think any of these will brood.

2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I'd say Silkies, great mommas!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In the April/May edition of Backyard Poultry, Mark Rosen recommends American Game Bantams. Harvey Ussery suggests Old English Games, Silkies, Malay, and Dorking as good choices for hens that might go broody.

You are correct. The three breeds you mentioned are not known as broody breeds. Some individuals will occasionally go broody, but it is not a regular occurance.

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Silkies and Cochins are my 2 favorites [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Silkies, Cochins, Orpingtons, and Old English Games are probably the top four.

6. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    will have to agree with everyone.. only had silkies and game hens that were one heck of good mothers

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Game hens, not bantam games but standard games. Silkies and cochins. The reason not bantam games is because on large eggs an OEGB wont be able to sit on but only on a very few eggs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I can't hardly keep my bantam cochins off the nest.They broody more than my two silkies.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Also Kraienkoppes. Mine were from Ideal. Friendly and tame, tolerate pens well but also forage well, great mothers, lay a medium beige egg, lay well when they're not broody. I had 3 hens. One hatched and started to raise an Australorp chick. She was killed so one of the others took over the mothering. Then that mother was killed and the last one took over the mothering.

There was a list on another thread of good broody breeds, and I think this thread has now listed them all.

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    In my experience I would say the #1 Silkie Cochins cross
    #2 Silkies, & #3 OEGBs. My OEGB hen hatched out 15 last summer.

All my Silkie Cochin hens are all broody right now. No stopping them [​IMG] Must be the Silkie in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by