Best cage for Cortunix Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SouthernCali, Aug 23, 2008.

1. SouthernCali

SouthernCali New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    Anaheim, California
    I currently have 25 Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail which I recently hatched from Lake Cumberland Game Birds (started with 50 eggs). Hatched July 19th so they are about 5 weeks. Plan to cull the males.

I currently have them in the bottom of my cockatiel cage which measures 7 feet long by 2 feet wide. The cockatiels stay to the top and the quail keep to the bottom and have not had a problem there. The quail are pecking each other, but maybe this will change when I cull some males. Plus, no one would know the quails are there. It looks like a big bird cage. [​IMG]

Right now I don't have much space on my patio, so hopefully I can keep them this way. I live in Anaheim, CA, close to Disney so you can imagine. Will need to make a few changes to make egg gathering easier.

I see suggestions that they should be kept 3 to 1 male in small cages. Will probably keep some breeders this way for hatching eggs occasionally. Any ideas on how my current large cage will work? I prefer that they have some run space but also want to get some eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have about 20 in a 2'x2'x8' cage with a enclosed in area they can go in or lay their eggs in. They all do great together but I'm going to pull a few of my extra males out to butcher. I also added legs to bring it up off the ground about 3' so I don't have to bend down to water or feed up. I don't have a pic but I can take one tomorrow if you like.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. BobcatKen

BobcatKen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    I love your 3rd pic with the feline checking out the quail. [​IMG]

4. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I would love to see more pics.....I am re-building my quail area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by