Best chicken book out there?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ONSTAD1, May 27, 2012.

1. ONSTAD1

ONSTAD1 Chirping

Hi.
    In the research phase of getting byc's. Taking an informal poll...if you could have just one book on raising backyard chickens what would it be?

Thanks,
    Mo

2. The Yolk Folks

The Yolk Folks Hatching

Feb 14, 2012
    I've really liked and valued "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. Comprehensive and readable.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Same here, Storey's guide.

4. cleoppa

cleoppa In the Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    I'm not an expert here, but I'll post anyway. I really liked this book: Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying

It is, as it says, an absolute beginner's guide. In fact, I think I'll donate mine to the library, since after your first set of chickens, it's nowhere near as valuable. But for a first-time chicken raiser, i loved this book. Of course, the more in-depth books come in handy, too. But for anyone on their first chicks, this is a great book.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chirping

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Agree about Storey. I don't have their chicken specific book but I have this:

Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Wisdo...3ZW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338246666&sr=8-1

I've learned so much from it. How to bake bread, how to build a nest box, gardening, etc. When we bought our house in a more rural town a friend gave it to me as a joke. Ha! The cover is practically falling off.

1 person likes this.
  6. ONSTAD1

ONSTAD1 Chirping

thanks...sure I'll get a couple so keep em coming

7. SuburbanMomof4

SuburbanMomof4 In the Brooder

I am totally in agreement with SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK by HARVEY USSERY

The Storey's Guides are okay for starters, but they really don't give you a good sense that you can raise your own feed or go chemical-free. They are also very heavy on what can go wrong. There is a place for that, but the amount of emphasis really left me feeling nervous about having chickens. Then once I had chickens I was startled by how easy they were!

I wish I had been able to start with Ussery's book. I actually bought a copy off Amazon before I even returned the library's copy (which I devoured!)

1 person likes this.
  8. sarahcfu

sarahcfu Hatching

Jan 9, 2013
    For me, hands down, the best chicken book is The Chicken: A Natural History. The link on Amazon is here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Chicken-A-Natural-History/dp/1937994031

When I was considering getting myself chickens for my small city-girl backyard, it was a great resource about breeds, how to care for them, and it's really beautiful. Basically it's just a super-informative love-fest about chickens, written by a bunch of experts.

9. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens here also. I will say that we have read several books on chickens and while they all were worthwhile all together they do not contain near the information you can find here at BYC and a couple of other sites on the web.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: