Best chicken breed in my opinion

jamestex

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
th

Hi I live in the Ft Worth area and have had many varieties of chickens over the years. My favorite by far is the Orpington. They are good egg layers and the eggs will become AA size as they mature. Light green in color.
The main reason I like them is that they are very "street smart" When out of the coop they will scan the area for neighborhood dogs and hawks and stay close to shrubs if danger is present. They are not flighty and will come quickly when called. Very friendly bird that allows you to handle them if they have a cut etc. I have had many varieties over the years and this breed I highly recommend for the novice and experienced chicken fan. James

th

Hi I live in the Ft Worth area and have had many varieties of chickens over the years. My favorite by far is the Orpington. They are good egg layers and the eggs will become AA size as they mature. Light green in color.
The main reason I like them is that they are very "street smart" When out of the coop they will scan the area for neighborhood dogs and hawks and stay close to shrubs if danger is present. They are not flighty and will come quickly when called. Very friendly bird that allows you to handle them if they have a cut etc. I have had many varieties over the years and this breed I highly recommend for the novice and experienced chicken fan. James
That is a beautiful Orpington hen. I have loved my Buff Orpingtons, and they are very friendly. My Orpingtons have laid light brown eggs.

Good morning. I live in Keller and plan on starting my chickens next week or the week after. Looking for local opinion on best chicken breed for laying eggs and sounds like this breed likes the weather also. Amy advice on insulating coop or venting for summer? Still building and want to cover all my bases. also is there a place to get chickens locally without shipping them? Wanted done several weeks old so better chance of surviving in the winter . Not sure if that makes a difference but I hate to fail on the first try. And advice!

Good morning. I live in Keller and plan on starting my chickens next week or the week after. Looking for local opinion on best chicken breed for laying eggs and sounds like this breed likes the weather also. Amy advice on insulating coop or venting for summer? Still building and want to cover all my bases. also is there a place to get chickens locally without shipping them? Wanted done several weeks old so better chance of surviving in the winter . Not sure if that makes a difference but I hate to fail on the first try. And advice!
Orpingtons are a great breed but they are not the most prolific layers. Plymouth rocks are another very friendly breed who lay well. I love having a mix of breeds in my flock.

Summer heat is actually typically more dangerous than winter cold. Placing the coop in a shady spot is a good idea and ventilation is important in any season. I don't think you would need insulation. Check out this link for the Texas thread for good local sources:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas/34080

Back
Top Bottom