thatchickenmama

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
I’m interested in adding a black pullet chick to my flock with our next round of raising chicks. We live in a neighborhood, on about a half acre, and thankfully, our neighbors are for the most part cool with it, but I want to make sure we’re looking at quieter breeds. We are of course going to be raising them from chicks and intend on handling them often. It also needs to be a hen, because city ordinance and for noise. I would like to stick with healthier breeds that will lay longer, if possible, and are easier to sex.

On the short list:
Australorp
Black or chocolate orpington
Black Jersey Giant - I love these, am just concerned about the noise?

We currently have four girls, two Barred Plymouth Rocks, a sweet sapphire gem and a sapphire olive egger. We also like that they’re intelligent, friendly, relatively low volume and are not flighty, but are aware. We have a hawk in the area and provide a secure covered run and coop for them, and free range them when we’re out in the backyard with them. Eventually we plan on integrating them.

Thanks!

I’m interested in adding a black pullet chick to my flock with our next round of raising chicks. We live in a neighborhood, on about a half acre, and thankfully, our neighbors are for the most part cool with it, but I want to make sure we’re looking at quieter breeds. We are of course going to be raising them from chicks and intend on handling them often. It also needs to be a hen, because city ordinance and for noise. I would like to stick with healthier breeds that will lay longer, if possible, and are easier to sex.

On the short list:
Australorp
Black or chocolate orpington
Black Jersey Giant - I love these, am just concerned about the noise?

We currently have four girls, two Barred Plymouth Rocks, a sweet sapphire gem and a sapphire olive egger. We also like that they’re intelligent, friendly, relatively low volume and are not flighty, but are aware. We have a hawk in the area and provide a secure covered run and coop for them, and free range them when we’re out in the backyard with them. Eventually we plan on integrating them.

Thanks!
I've had giants. Calm, stately, sweet tempered birds (avatar pic is my roo (poor markings but such a sweetheart)). Of my birds, my leghorn and leghorn mixes are all LOUD ladies. They scream if someone is in the nest spot they want. All of my wyandotte and Plymouth Rock derivatives are pretty quiet (at least by comparison). They will slip in, lay an egg and slip out. One turned broody (in the wilds of the tall grass) and showed NO signs until she wasn't there for evening head count. Even now, when she comes off the nest, her buk-buk is really difficult to hear.

That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for - calm, steady, sweet tempered.
I've had giants. Calm, stately, sweet tempered birds (avatar pic is my roo (poor markings but such a sweetheart)). Of my birds, my leghorn and leghorn mixes are all LOUD ladies. They scream if someone is in the nest spot they want. All of my wyandotte and Plymouth Rock derivatives are pretty quiet (at least by comparison). They will slip in, lay an egg and slip out. One turned broody (in the wilds of the tall grass) and showed NO signs until she wasn't there for evening head count. Even now, when she comes off the nest, her buk-buk is really difficult to hear.
that’s exactly what I’m looking for!

Our Orpington is chill and quiet also. We have a buff hen (and a new lavender chick), and the buff is calm, quiet, no drama. The most chill bird ever. Great breed, highly recommend.
Is your lavender as sweet as your buff? Or similar? I’m not sure why I’ve had an aversion to buff orpingtons. They have come so highly recommended, as the golden retrievers of the chicken world. I don’t have much experience with them, but a lot of people seem to really love them! That sounds awesome.
I wonder if the colors have different breeds or personalities mixed in. I know that personality will vary among individual chickens, but generally speaking. I just am not as much a fan of the buff color, but would love to try chocolate or other colors! My husband wants a red hen too.

Is your lavender as sweet as your buff? Or similar? I’m not sure why I’ve had an aversion to buff orpingtons. They have come so highly recommended, as the golden retrievers of the chicken world. I don’t have much experience with them, but a lot of people seem to really love them! That sounds awesome.
I wonder if the colors have different breeds or personalities mixed in. I know that personality will vary among individual chickens, but generally speaking. I just am not as much a fan of the buff color, but would love to try chocolate or other colors! My husband wants a red hen too.
Our lavender is only 5 weeks old, so no idea how her personality will be! However I do think the “general” personality doesn’t change with different color feathers. Mt Healthy has black, chocolate, lavender, buff & red Orpingtons if you are looking for any of those colors! I think most are sold out until next year, but they had such a cool variety that I remember! They also had a few different colors of Australorp and Jersey Giant if you like those breeds also!

Back
Top Bottom