Best Chicken Breeds for Pesky Neighbors?

Elly LaPerriere

Chirping
Jan 20, 2022
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for opinions/advice before I buy my first chicks. Planning to build an A-Frame tractor, get 4 or 5 hens for starters, (or 6, or 7...) raise the chicks, put them in the tractor, tow it around the yard and garden, let them free range under supervision once their wings are clipped, get eggs, and everyone will live happily ever after.
Except my neighbors.
The way our yard is situated, large as it may be, our neighbor on the left side has a perfect view of the first half of the backyard. Actually, the house next to his also has a pretty good view as well, since they're on the higher end of the slope. Down to the right side, one house after the first, we have a very, um, to say it kindly, picky neighbor who's lawn is as manicured as the President's, and as you come down the street you can see that she, the church next to her property, and the street, all have a panoramic view of our backyard.
Not good when you have a picky neighbor.
So I'm looking for suggestions, 1, how to better camouflage the Madame Henriettes from Neighbor's Sight, and 2, which breeds to you all most recommend for being quiet, not as flighty, more gentle, less squawky/egg-songy?
I know that chickens naturally squawk, gossip among each other, sing egg song, fight, whatever. But I know that some have the tendency to do it less than most.
Thank you!!
~Ellie

Hello everyone!
I'm looking for opinions/advice before I buy my first chicks. Planning to build an A-Frame tractor, get 4 or 5 hens for starters, (or 6, or 7...) raise the chicks, put them in the tractor, tow it around the yard and garden, let them free range under supervision once their wings are clipped, get eggs, and everyone will live happily ever after.
Except my neighbors.
The way our yard is situated, large as it may be, our neighbor on the left side has a perfect view of the first half of the backyard. Actually, the house next to his also has a pretty good view as well, since they're on the higher end of the slope. Down to the right side, one house after the first, we have a very, um, to say it kindly, picky neighbor who's lawn is as manicured as the President's, and as you come down the street you can see that she, the church next to her property, and the street, all have a panoramic view of our backyard.
Not good when you have a picky neighbor.
So I'm looking for suggestions, 1, how to better camouflage the Madame Henriettes from Neighbor's Sight, and 2, which breeds to you all most recommend for being quiet, not as flighty, more gentle, less squawky/egg-songy?
I know that chickens naturally squawk, gossip among each other, sing egg song, fight, whatever. But I know that some have the tendency to do it less than most.
Thank you!!
~Ellie
Stay away from Welsummers, they are really chatty. I like my EEs (who are quiet, but since they are mutts, it is sort of a hit or miss).

My recommendation would be red sexlinks. They lay well too, so maybe your neighbors would love some fresh eggs. Downside to them is that they don't tend to live too long. My BR is quiet, but I only have one, so don't hold me accountable for saying that. :lau

Maybe @JustBabyMargo or @TheOddOneOut can jump in with some recommendations of their own.

Are you allowed to have backyard chickens where you live?

Assuming yes, I’d recommend building a singular, semi-mobile, coop and going with an exceptionally small breed like Dutch or Old English game bantams. Those OEGBs I’ve raised are exceptionally thrifty with feed. They are flighty, but as long as your coop is secure and you don’t let them out it won’t be a problem.

Don’t try to free range your birds. As big of an advocate I am of free ranging, its only for places where you can let the chickens go where they want. You don’t want to clip their wings. Chickens can still get over fences with clipped wings but can’t get away from predators as easily.

Just move the coop around as the birds wear out a spot. You’ll still get many of the benefits of your birds eating grass and having access to fresh ground.

Probably, my Brahmas and Cochins and EEs are the quietest. And the Brahmas and Cochins are heavy so after the second year when they put on their final weight, they won't even need their wings clipped. And from those hens you will get pink, tan and blue eggs.

My noisiest have been Speckled Sussex, Cream Legbars, and Welsummers, who constantly have to voice their opinions on everything constantly, especially their and other's egg laying.

I had one bantam Cochin when I was a child and I do remember she was pretty quiet. She was a good free ranger and not a great flier. She struggled to get up in the trees where my gamefowl roosted.
For me, I have 3 large fowl ones. 9 months, and one of them is real loud at feeding time. I think it depends on the chicken herself.

I chose bantam cochins for my small urban property for the same reasons. Quiet, don't fly well (no need to clip the wings), and at least the breeder quality ones I got were very short legged and didn't excavate the garden as much as I've seen from other people's chickens. They are also very cute and pretty and round.

Decent layers for a bantam when young but they do go broody a lot. But mine lived a very long time (10 years) without health issues. My neighbors never knew I had chickens.

Back
Top Bottom