BEST chicken feed recipe, ever.

Still feeding my "armature recipe"..

Happy healthy birds without lining the pockets of fat cat executives in the big ag industry...

PS.. Synthetic methionine needs to be banned in organic feed! The big for profit guys have been lobbying hard to keep it. (This is one of the things the critics of home made feed think you need..)
Nope! Either free range your birds, feed BOSS, or grow insects for them and you do not need it!!!

Keep making your own feed folks..

Last edited:

Happy healthy birds without lining the pockets of fat cat executives in the big ag industry...

PS.. Synthetic methionine needs to be banned in organic feed! The big for profit guys have been lobbying hard to keep it. (This is one of the things the critics of home made feed think you need..)
Nope! Either free range your birds, feed BOSS, or grow insects for them and you do not need it!!!

Another user here feeds whey to her chickens for a methionine source for her girls. :) I'm trying to get my hands on some raw milk to make cheese and give my girls fresh whey, but for now they're getting a probiotic with powdered whey in it. My four are doing great on their home made feed as well!

Absolutely love making my girls their food, thanks to my Organics North friend of course
1f601.png

They also love bananas and my leafy green scraps. I recently started giving them their egg shells back with some cooked oatmeal, millet and barley. My husband thought it looked delicious and almost stole a bite lol. The girls go wild over it
1f601.png
1f44d.png
1f413.png

I just want to thank Greener Pastures for this chicken feed recipe.

I had been feeding them commercial layer feed and treats. The first eggs didn't taste that good - they looked great, but their taste wasn't kinda gross. So, I bought all of the whole grains from the recipe below and have mixed up a small batch. The girls love it AND their eggs taste completely different and SO much better. It's a completely different egg. (My hens also free range during the day.) I am more convinced now than ever that you are what you eat!

The grains are a little expensive, but you can order them in bulk, and it's completely worth the expense. DELICIOUS.

RECIPE BELOW:
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.html

"Ronda's Whole Grain Chicken Feed Recipe

That said, here is the recipe that I devised in '99 and have been improving with additions, but using the ingredients in more or less the same ratio since 1999. Note that all items are whole grains, and certified organic. If you are looking for the cheapest feed, this isn't it. If you are looking for a healthy, natural feed for your flock, this is one way to go!

*** It's not necessary to follow this recipe exactly... just make sure your birds are getting enough protein, which is predominant in the hard red wheat and the legumes. Free-range birds usually find plenty of protein from bugs, etc.

2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 parts soft white wheat
3 parts hard red winter wheat
1 part hulled barley
1 part oat groats
1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 part millet
1 part kamut
1 part amaranth seeds
1 part split peas
1 part lentils
1 part quinoa
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax seeds
1/2 part kelp granules
free choice of granite grit
free choice of oyster shell"
Do you cook any of these grains or at least simmer them?

Just a comment on this. I know that my birds can't roam and I do feed some boss in their fermented feed. Are you saying that boss would take the place of methionine? I usually do 3 scoops of grower, 1 scoop of scratch or cracked corn, 1/2 scoop BOSS along with 3 T. Azomite rock dust. for the minerals.

Linda,
Sunflower Seeds are rich in most amino acids including Methionine.

Amount per 28.35g of sunflower seeds.
Tryptophan 0.1g
-​
Threonine 0.2g
-​
Isoleucine 0.3g
-​
Leucine 0.4g
-​
Lysine 0.2g
-​
Methionine 0.1g