Best chicken waterer that won’t rust

How did you train them to use it?
Chiming in as a first-timer last year who was concerned that mine would not be able to figure it out - I used a garden stake (basically a stick) to point out the areas where they should peck and demonstrated how to make water come out....they were a bit flustered at first but literally within minutes, one of them got it and the others immediately followed.

Welcome to BYC.

You might want to try a horizontal nipple waterer.

There are a number of heated bases that are safe for plastic waterers -- which lets you make your own waterer by buying the nipples (I use these: https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Pack-Make-Your-Waterer/dp/B07DVSL74D/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1W8GH3QG6GZPK&keywords=horizontal+nipples+chicken&qid=1641064690&sprefix=horizontal+ni,aps,553&sr=8-2), and using your own bucket.

Or you can buy one ready to use: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=141

I didn't find it difficult to train the chickens to use the nipples.
I just got these exact ones this week and attached them to a food safe 5 gallon bucket and they are the bomb. The chicks who are 5 and 6 weeks old figured it out really quick. I bought 12 because I read they may leak but only installed 4 and they came with a tiny drip cup so I tapped on the metal valve several times so there was a little water in there and it took them no time to figure it out, they are attracted to Red and to shiny things so they can't resist pecking at the metal valve and discovering that water comes out. I am so excited for them to have clean water throughout the day and into the next. Their water would get so gross, I mean why do we love these animals so much that have no basic sanitary instinct. Even my dog doesn't poop where she lays or drinks for that matter, but they would perch right on the side and drop a poo bomb in the water every other day, so frustrating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom