best chickens

KARL

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
im in Denver, can anyone suggest what chickens are the best for our climate, and the best egg producers, thanks

If you wanted to go to Gardenweb/Rocky Mountain Gardening, I'd probably reply to you there
wink.png
. I'm about 1,000 miles northwest in another arid part of the Wild West.

The elevation is a lot lower but it's about 48° north latitude so if 1° latitude is the same as 400 feet in elevation . . . .

Anyway - I don't think that one needs a special breed beyond getting one that has some bulk so that they can be a little more comfortable when the temps get down around zero.

The sex-links are probably bulky enuf and my brother has long been fond of them at his nearby farm. I like Australorps but realize that they can't quite compete with the egg production, at least not on a daily basis. Barred Rocks would probably be another good choice for you.

If you really feel that frostbite will be a problem - better think about pea comb breeds instead.

Steve

edited to say: Welcome to BYC, Karl
big_smile.png
!!

Last edited:
We have had an extremely miserable cold snowy winter and our Dominiques are doing fine. One roo has frostbite on his comb in a tiny spot but he likes to fling water when he gets a new waterer full so I think he got himself wet that way. They are a nice breed and lay well with great personalities! Mine are lapsitters. You sit down and they are in your lap. With any breed make sure you keep the coop draftfree.

ETA- the hen house has no electricity in it so they have lots of straw on the floor!

Last edited:
Our Orpingtons were always fine, we had a nice warm house for them. i think that is important. We live down on the plains, so it stays warmer most of the time. But this winter it got down to -10 a couple times. Our Cochin hens did well, and only stopped laying for one week all winter. The Rocks all got frozen combs, even the hens. They have tall combs, But we dont have a very warm chicken house. The cochin dont lay that well all year, but they seem to do very good in the winter compared to some of the lighter feathered birds.

Karl,
Did you have trouble getting your permit in Denver? I heard from someone who lives in Denver that he really had a difficult time...his neighbors tried to have him evicted because of his chickens & pigeons!

I think Cochins are the perfect breed for your climate, they fair well in cold weather, are great producers of brown eggs, make the best broody hens to hatch your new babies, are gentle giants great with children, and finally are beautiful to look at.
What I would do is to first consider your climate, if really cold choose a heavy feathered breed with small comb and wattles. If temps 20-25 and above, most any breed will do. Hope this helps

Quote:
Yes, I agree 100%. They are GREAT brown(and large) egg layers! And trust me, they are very friendly and talkative. We have 4 and they are all layings eggs. The pullets started laying eggs at 4 1/2-5 months!(which is very early compared to other breeds). They are also called Red Stars, Red Sex-Links, Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets....etc.

Red Stars(as I call them) will lay all season, as long as you provide the proper diet(layer's mash, high protein, etc.) and you provide a lamp at night for warmth and egg laying during winter.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom