1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best clumping cat litter?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kaitie09, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I'm switching my cat litter from Feline Pine pellets to something else. I have 6 indoor/outdoor cats (sometimes 7) and am switching out my 5 regular litter boxes, for 2 giant rubber tote ones (30 gallons). I'm wondering what the best clumping cat litter (with reasonable pricing) is out there. I also need one with major odor control, as these boxes are in my bedroom closet (clothes are not in there).

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I use tidy cat which clumps well and I make a point of getting it on sale. I have 3 cats.

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Through my trials of trying numerous types of litter for my large cat herd, I have found that I like the Arm & Hammer products the best. There is "Double Duty" and "Multilpe Cats". It really seems to cut odor instead of just perfuming the stink. I have found the BJ's has the cheapest for the most quantity (42lbs). Good luck! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto! I think A&H is the best!

5. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Quote:Ditto! I think A&H is the best!

X3

Arm & Hammer's Double Duty is the only litter I will use again. It has by far the best odor control of any litter we have tried. Our cat has some of the WORST smelling poop and it allows us to cut way back on the need for scooping every time she goes. With other litters she can clear a room. With Double Duty she can go and you cannot even tell.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    The ONLY one that works good for us..(7 indoor cats) is fresh step multiple cat...

7. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I'm using Sweat Step (flushable wheat based litter) and a CityKitty, and my cat is half way to being toilet trained so I don't have to use any litter ever again. It's supposed to work well with multiple cats, although you have to progress through the training at a rate that fits your slowest cat.

If I weren't toilet training, I wouldn't worry about the flushable aspect; this litter product is a little more pricey than the ones that come in big plastic pails, and you don't get the nice pails as a bonus.

But then, not having to deal with it anymore will be a better bonus! Target date: Full success by Christmas!

8. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My feral kitty toilet trained herself. Kinda weird hearing the kitty tinkle in the toilet in the middle of the night (I only wish she"d train the other six) [​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:OMG! What a smart cat!

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We're using Tidy Cat multiple cat.. though only for one cat. It clumps REALLY well. I don't remember what I used before for the kittens... comes in a white bucket.. fresh step? The clumps always fell apart. The Tidy Cat in the yellow bucket is great.

Plus you get a bucket! I use the buckets with the birds, or fish tank for water changes after a thorough cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by