Best Coop Bedding? (No Poop Boards in Coop)

I like to use straw. It can be removed easily (it "weaves" itself), and it'll just degrade (is that the word?) overtime with the chickens scratching it. It's just my opinion.

I use shredded hemp in the coop and a poop board with PDZ. I sift the board about every 3-4 days - tales 5 minutes - and the poops I fling onto my compost pile. The coop stays completely dry and smells fresh. My covered run is deep litter - leaves, pine needles, straw, hemp, grass clippings, wood chips - whatever I can get my hands on. It’s working well.

@aart , I've forgotten, if you ever mentioned, it, but how many birds do you have?
Right now I'm down to 49, and plan on a few less by winter. Poop scooping daily? No way!
Mary
I keep about 15-18 over winter, have had more than 30 during spring/summers from hatching.
Not sure I'd scoop for more than 30, but then I also don't have space nor desire for more than 30.
I like the poop boards because:
- it reduces ammonia and moisture, especially during winter.
- it gets the poop somewhere it can be advantageous, my friends compost.
- decreases floor shaving changes and especially the disposal of it.
Works for me, know you don't care for it @Folly's place .

We have poop boards with sweet PDZ and then shavings for bedding.

Without the poop boards, I'd just use the shavings and PDZ. But we'd probably have to change out bedding every few weeks opposed to every few months with the boards.

I use pine shavings + some PDZ and don't have poop boards. I agree with the people who don't want to scoop chicken poop every day. Even my cat doesn't get daily scoopings, I'm not doing it for some chickens :lol: So far I've had no problems. It stays bone dry and there is no smell. Every once in a while (like maybe once a week) I fluff it up and stir it around a bit so the poop falls to the bottom and the shavings rise to the top. I haven't gone through a winter yet with this setup, but it's been through torrential rain and high coastal humidity, and it's still dry. I love it.

Has anyone tried covering the bottom of their coop with a thick layer of Sweet PDZ and then using a cat litter scoop with a long handle to clean the poop out?

We are almost done building our coop and while we technically can figure out a way to put a poop board in, since the original plan did not have one, putting a poop board in will take up a lot of real estate and reduce the amount of space the chickens have to move around. The coop is technically walk in and with a long handled cat litter scoop I could reach any corner of it.

I'm attaching some photos of the in-progress coop and would welcome feedback!! @aart @drinkoj

Attachments

• coop2.png
    coop2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • coop1.png
    coop1.png
    3 MB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom