Best coop for 10 plus chickens

Since you're in FL, a large hoop coop would probably be your best bet. Or if you want to start with a kit/prebuilt structure, large dog kennel (like 10x20) - you'll need to add hardware cloth or small opening welded wire to cover up the large openings on the chain link, some sort of roof or wire over the top (for predator protection as well as weather protection), and some plywood or boards to form a weather protected roosting area, but otherwise an open set up would be advantageous in your weather.

Oh I just saw this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ce-before-i-buy-a-coop.1469203/#post-24475043 - good examples of a hoop coop and also a kennel that could be converted.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

Other than converting a shed or dog kennel you won't easily find a coop to buy that *actually* holds 10-12 chickens. Prefab coops are notorious for wildly exaggerating the numbers of chickens they can hold, for being shoddily constructed, and for being badly designed.

But since you're in a warm climate you are in luck -- an Open Air coop is both the most appropriate thing for your climate and the easiest to build. Just a big wire box with a 3-sided shelter at one end.

To help you figure out what's best for your needs, here are The Usual Guidelines.

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

4 square feet in the coop,​
10 square feet in the run,​
1 linear foot of roost,​
1/4 of a nest box,​
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.​

For 12 chickens that means:

48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.​
12 feet of roost​
120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof.​
12 square feet of ventilation.​
3 nest boxes.​

The are *guidelines*, not hard-and-fast rules. Here's a great explanation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

This coop in Texas is the primary inspiration for my current coop build here in North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom