best Cornish cross?

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
ok so I am going to get some Cornish cross for the freezer and need to know where is the best place to order them from. we got some from the farm store last year and had trouble. mostly because we had never reasied them before. I am now wondering where the best place to get them is...

about anywhere... there is such a tight gene pool, and most hatcheries buy from the same source anyways... you're just about equal with wherever you purchase from... cost is all that's difference almost all the time.

The base lines are all pretty similar, but if you're ordering, first look to see how far the chicks will be shipped. The closer, the better, as it's less stress and creates a better chance for survival. Price can be variable, but it's better to pay a little more for a closer ship, than to pay less and have them shipped cross country over three days.

After that, it's all about care and raising, as you might have already realized. Unlimited clean water, good feed, and try to keep up on the poo in some way or another. Keeping the stress down for them helps - steady temperatures, not being chased, not being overheated, not being picked on etc. They aren't a rocket science, but they seem to do well on a steady, reliable schedule of care.

Some of the popular places are Welp, Central Hatchery and Schlecht, among others. I prefer Schlecht, but they ship overnight to my area, so it's nice.

so is it ok to get them at the local feed store. last year was our first year with them and we got them at the local feed store and they were so small at butcher time the place that did them took the name of the place we got them and all to call and see what the deal was. I think part of the fault was ours, I did not give them unlimited food and I think I should of kept feeders full and only take it away like for 4 hrs over night maybe. but others had problems as well who got them the same place we did . our were so small they were like Cornish game hens. I am learning alot about all this and I am very thankful for all your advice, never never think I know stuff that should be common knowledge I have alot to learn and I am very thankful for your help everyone... gees sure we move to a little farm thinking it will be cheaper and a slower easier life, if so I am doing it all wrong.

Quote:
Unfortunately - price
smile.png
I can get 50 from Schletch shipped for $62.50, but Townline would run me $84.00 shipped (I would spend WAY more in gas to drive to Zeeland than the shipping for pickup - little over 100 miles away).

It's all about doing research and knowing what you want. Some places cost less for lower number, some cost more, some include shipping, some don't. Again, keep in mind shipping times. If you want over 100 at once, it's often much cheaper per chick at some places, whereas others don't offer that kind of discount. For the most part, the cornishX chick is about the same, it's just slightly different price.

The feed store is fine to get them at, but you do run the risk of having them mixed with the wrong breed on accident - a white leghorn will look close to the same as cornishX, but holy cow, with the growth be different. It would be best to call ahead and see when they get their chick shipment, and see if you can come as soon as they unpack them and be able to be sure you are getting the right breed
smile.png

Quote:
Unfortunately - price
smile.png
I can get 50 from Schletch shipped for $62.50, but Townline would run me $84.00 shipped (I would spend WAY more in gas to drive to Zeeland than the shipping for pickup - little over 100 miles away).

It's all about doing research and knowing what you want. Some places cost less for lower number, some cost more, some include shipping, some don't. Again, keep in mind shipping times. If you want over 100 at once, it's often much cheaper per chick at some places, whereas others don't offer that kind of discount. For the most part, the cornishX chick is about the same, it's just slightly different price.

The feed store is fine to get them at, but you do run the risk of having them mixed with the wrong breed on accident - a white leghorn will look close to the same as cornishX, but holy cow, with the growth be different. It would be best to call ahead and see when they get their chick shipment, and see if you can come as soon as they unpack them and be able to be sure you are getting the right breed
smile.png

Yes they have very good prices on their cornishx. The other breeds are very high price and all st. run.I am surprised that they don't offer black sex linked a very easy cross to make

Back
Top Bottom